So serious sheep

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Ross, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I know its a prerequisite to take sheep seriously but what are your favorite fun sheep? I thought for sure it was Wallace and Gromit's sheep from a Close Shave but the Jakers Winks flock is priceless. There's some dandy sheep represented in stained glass church windows too. Kick off the barn boots and tell me what makes you smile whan you see sheep.

2. Celtic Herritag

Celtic Herritag Celtic Heritage Farms

My sheep are very spoiled and treated more like pets than the stock they are, though I still can eat them. (Some call me a monster I just say I'm well grounded). Anyway, whenever they see me or my truck they come running, they don't come for anyone else, makes all the long hours and late night early morning shepherding work worth it.

3. ShortSheep

ShortSheep Well-Known Member

I like stuffed animal sheep and sheep figurines/collectibles. Cute little things I would never buy myself, but since everyone knows I'm a sheepaholic, I get them frequently as gifts. So my house is being taken over by sheep as well as the barn.
    I have stuffed sheep on my wedding chest, glass sheep figurines on the TV, plastic sheep family on my computer desk, a beanie baby sheep hanging from the visor in my car, lovely sheep pictures on the walls, a ram welcome sign. Oh I could go on and on... ;)

4. elgordo

elgordo Well-Known Member

I'm trying very hard not to clutter up my place with "stuff", but I couldn't resist the beanie baby lamb I bought for a neice - I gave her other things instead! I smile every time I see something with sheep on it. A guy in the mall is selling sheepskins and he has several beautiful plush sculptures of sheep and rams, but the $80 price tags don't tempt me very long!

5. backachersfarm

backachersfarm Well-Known Member

The things that get me to smile is when we let them into a new field or they think they are going to be fed. They run madly across the field and ever so often one will spring up into the air. No matter how old they are they still do this. They get so excited. I guess the other thing is watching the lambs while the mothers eat. Once they get old enough to feel a little independant they look at it as free time. While moms eat all the babies race around and around in a little mob. Leaping up into the air and having the time of their lives.
    Sharon

6. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Dolly always makes me smile. She's so darned funny, climbing apple trees and shimmying under fences. She's got this funny shape to her back end...her tail is placed a bit too low and when she runs it bounces along rather like a mud flap, lol!

Cracks me up when I see the lambs out chasing chickens, too.

And the cartoon 'Bounder' at the beginning of the Incredibles.

We have fun with the Sheep Game online, too (but that's when you know you really need a life!)

7. Celtic Herritag

Celtic Herritag Celtic Heritage Farms

One thing that made me laugh today I was moving my part of my flock from a pen to a pasture, and favorite ewe she's a bit spoiled so while I'm moving everyone else I'll let her out to eat the grass on the lawn. Well sometimes she isn't quite ready to be finished and will play a nice game of catch me if you can. So, I pretend like I'm going into the feed room, she follows and I go inside to get some grain to bribe her with. Before I could get the grain her head pops into the door and steals one of the apples I keep in a basket by the door, just quick as lightning she grabs the whole thing and runs off with it trying to eat it in one bite. I'm running after her thinking how in heck do you perform the himleck manuver on a pregnant ewe. I chase her all the way into the pasture I was trying to move her into where she decides that apples aren't that easy to eat and drops it, so while I shut the gate the rest of the gang has a go at it, each one grabbing it and running off while the others chase it.

8. Ross

This is a Robert Bateman print my Brother wants. Hope Santa's reading cause I got him tools.

[​IMG]

9. Kasidy

Kasidy Well-Known Member

I actually watch any new Serta commercial (the first time or two anyway!!)

And I love the Nancy E. Shaw children's books--Sheep in a Jeep, Sheep on a Ship etc etc I think I have bought at least three or four for the grandkids.

And I know that the way the sheep talk in Babe is exactly how some of mine would sound if I could only hear them properly.

10. SilverVista

SilverVista Well-Known Member

Yes! the Sheep in a Jeep books -- I laughed till I cried. Especially the one where they dress up in costumes and go out for Hallowe'en!

11. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

For Chrstimas, my DIL gave me a book about Russell the Sheep who cannot sleep. Adorable!
    Lisa at Somerhill

12. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Ross I have no artistic ability or knowledge at all but I know what I like - and I like that print. Who is Robert Bateman and where is the setting for the print? And I hope your brother wasn't too disappointed at getting tools. :)

Cheers,
    Ronnie

13. Ross

Nah he liked the 15 million candle power light I got him. Lights up 6 acres no problem! Robert Bateman is Canada's number 1 wildlife artist. He should consider doing more rural art! Not sure where that peice is set but it could be anywhere around me to hundreds of miles east or west. Typical Ontario, Quebec or maritime old barn. Quick guess that print in open edition medium sized would sell for $500-800 framed. Numbered? Thousands+

14. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Thanks Ross, I can see I am going to do some searching and see what I can come up with on this side of the world by Robert Bateman. Probably very little so you may find yourself sending me a picture. :D

Now, where did you buy a torch with that sort of power? I could have done with one of those a few months back when I found a calving cow in a drain. I take it that it was battery powered? and if so how long does the battery last. So hard to find a high powered torch that will last more than 15 minutes. Perhaps you will find yourself posting off a print and a torch :)

Cheers,
    Ronnie

15. The_Shepherdess

The_Shepherdess Alannaeowyn

We really like Shaun in "A Close Shave", as well as the lamb in "Boundin'", but if you want to see at least one funny sheep pic every two months, try the sheep! magazine photo contest....

16. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

http://www.world-wide-art.com/art/shpg1136687485572789ctvasku20040706141923/artworkResults.html

try this link ronnie. it is quite nice in person! neighbours of ours , whom we farm sit for , have a print of the barn in the living room . will have to wait awhile till i am rich and famous. the torch is great! was over at a friends the other night and it lit up his bait pile a half mile back, mister coyote did not like the light however. http://cyclopssolutions.com is their website have had the torch lit up over 20 minutes on high and there was power to spare, has a high and low setting.

17. Lady_Jet

Lady_Jet Fiber artist & Instructor

My favorite sheep are Rabbit and Sophie, who were born of my registered Finn ewe by way of my registered Icelandic ram, Cromwell. Rabbit seems to have a bit longer ears than most sheep and looks...well...somewhat like a rabbit and is white with black spots on her ears and around her eyes and nose. Sophie is all black with regular sheep's ears and a white spot on her forehead. Both are bottle fed babies, and I really believe that Mary's little lamb was a bottle fed lamb by the way the two girls followed me after they realized I was mom. At any rate, both lambs are now adults of almost 3 years old and still follow me around like when they were lambs, especially if I'm in the pasture. They just need that attention even now and both are really good moms...and will have their second set of lambs in March *I think* maybe a little earlier.

Amyway, I love them to pieces as they're my favorites in the whole flock of 23 sheep, oops, with the new lamb yesterday, 24. I had a new Finn/Icelandic cross ewe lamb born yesterday at 11 AM. She's the sweetest little thing...all of about 2 lbs. I put iodine on her little navel area and checked her over and she's doing fine. :banana02: