Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a call from a friend yesterday to tell me that hay prices are going through the roof around here due to a lack of rain. I was able to get a little hay at $4 a bale for first cutting, but no where near the 300 bales I would need for the winter, and no where else to look at under $6 a bale now and likely to be $8 or $10 in the future if we don't get enough rain for a third cutting! I am trying to scrape up some money for some second cutting bales, but I am thinking that I will have to sell some of my goats to make it through the winter. I am so bummed. I have 3 does in milk that I can sell and my oldest herd sire. Most of the rest are either pets or this year's kids. At least I can rebuild if I sell those four. So annoying that I am selling half my milk away! I doubt I can get anywhere near the money that their milk is worth, but I don't really have buyers enough for that milk anyway, so it is the most practical way to go. If you know anyone nice who needs a ready herd in milk send them my way. I have a post on the barter board and I will put up some flyers at the county fair in two weeks. At this point I don't even know what to charge. So sad...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I am sooo sorry..and I know where you are coming from. And I think plenty of other people do as well..if not..they may learn when they start scouting for hay later.

I usually do just the opposite..when I have to "tighten my belt" with the goats..its the kids that always go. I think my logic..(lol..or lack there of) is I know them old girls sooo well..and I gotta stay with who brung me to the dance. IE..those girls are trip and quad carriers. I can say that their daughters have a great chance of doing the same...but I know these girls do it every year.

We were truly blessed last night. I had a call...quite out of the blue. A guy had some square bales...I was on his "list" ... did I need any? Wellll..HECK YES!!!!!!!!!! 50/50 alfalfa/grass 2nd cutting was going for 3.50..and his first cutting of the same was going for 2.50. We jumped with both feet. 525 bales...he's delivering and "might" want to barter for a Dexter or two. Praise to God..is all I can say. Cause we were looking at the exact same thing that you are.

Just some food for thought. Last winter..when the "ethonol" craze really took off. One of our hay suppliers said something to the effect of..think I won't have quite so much hay for ya next year..going to plant corn instead. And he did. Meanwhile..I'm freaking..as we had increased our Dexter herd..and yikes!!! So the "selling" was about to commence.

I got on the phone and called different hay suppliers last winter...even though they were out of hay...and asked to be put on their list. This fellow was just starting out in hay..and increased his hay ground for this year. That's why we were on his list. We figured if we took it all right now..it gives him room and it gives us credibility and will ensure our spot on his list. That's what I meant about 'out of the blue".

It has rained over 4 inches here in the last two days..and moved to the east. Hopefully those hay grounds will get a drink around you. If not..maybe some of these hay guys will have some extra here on the eastern side of Iowa. If some of you went together on paying for the trucking..it would maybe save your bacon.

Best wishes..and again...know that you have company in the hay panic. If you have a semi..there is still hay around here.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I am so sorry that you are having to sell your goats. But I have a feeling that there are going to be lots of other folks in your same position if mother nature doesn't start spreading this rain around a bit more. Too much rain in Texas and southwest Missouri and not enough in other states.
I hope you find a buyer for them and I hope you get what you want for them.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much!!!
I told the children that I would have to sell some of the goats. They were praying for rain all day. The rain came too, quite a bit of it. Two of them (8 & 9 yrs.) set up stools by the sliding glass door and whenever the rain slacked off they would yell at everyone to "pray harder". My hay guy called this morning to let me know that he had a few more $4 bales and to thank my kids for praying for rain. Very nice guy. It won't be anywhere what I need, but it is a start.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry you have to sell your stock, we don't have much left and hay is anywhere from $11.50 to $13.00 a bale right now here in AZ.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I feel for you. After having no hay last year and having to pay through the nose to have some shipped in to feed everyone through the winter, I decided that this year, I would buy whatever I could when I could. And if that means 25 cales from the neighbor down the road and 100 for the other neighbor - that what I am doing. It is working out okay. I don't have all what I need - but think I will be able to get it. On average 50 lb. bales are about $2.00 to $2.50 around here - if you pick it out of the field. We are working long hours to do it - but I figure the girls are more than worth it. Good luck to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts