so many pears!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by MaKettle, Aug 18, 2006.

1. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

Last year our little pear produced 3 edible fruit. This year we were inundated. We ate them until we were silly, fed the overipe pears to the barn folks, and then started drying them. Delish1 Sort of like dates. Not sure what to do with them, tho'. Sticky and all that, so bagged them and put them in the freezer. Anyone dry pears?

2. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

I dried pears last year. We ate them as snacks. Pear butter is also good. I've heard of pear cranberry chutney that sounds pretty interesting too. You can also can them in syrup for winter deserts.

3. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

I haven't dried pears, but I made pear jam once. It was good.

4. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

Now, I make my mincemeat out of green tomatoes and apples HOWEVER last year I ran across a recipe that uses pears and apples. I copied it just in case ole Jack Frost catches me sleeping and gets the green tomatoes before I do!

I haven't tried it so you may want to play with it a bit. Mincemeat is for much more than pies. And if you've never eaten homemade mincemeat -- just that under-spiced nasty store-bought stuff -- well you can't even imagine what a treat you are in for! And mincemeat is for much more than pies (we hardly ever make a pie out of it!). There's mincemeat muffins :dance: mincemeat cookies :hobbyhors and mincemeat breakfast bread :happy: besides all kinds of pies -- I even have a recipe with mincemeat on the bottom and pumpkin on the top layer! :clap:

And now that I have hopefully peaked your interest.... here's the recipe:

Pear Mincemeat
    Makes 5 cups

2-1/2 lbs pears, peeled, cored and chopped
    1 tart apple, peeled, cored and chopped
    Zest of 1 lemon
    Zest of 1 orange
    1 cup golden raisins
    1/2 cup dried cranberries or currants
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp allspice
    1/2 tsp ginger
    1/2 cup good brandy or cognac

Combine all ingredients EXCEPT the brandy and stir gently. Over medium heat, bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat and simmer until the pears and apples are tender when pierced with a fork. Stir frequently to prevent scorching!! Your mixture should be very thick. Stir in brandy and cook 5 minutes more.
    Ladle into hot sterile jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Waterbath process. (I'd have to look it up but I think mincemeat is processed for about 30 minutes -- might be shorter than that so please look it up for your altitude/elevation.)

5. Tirzah

Tirzah Well-Known Member Supporter

I haven't tried drying them. I am hoping we can find some pears this year to dry and make preserves. This recipe I have NOT tried yet, but intend to. I got it from a Rodale cookbook.

Pear Preserves with Ginger

2 pounds pears
    3 cups sugar
    2 cups water
    1 lemon, juice and grated peel
    ¼ cup chopped preserved ginger

1)Peel, core, and slice pears.
    2)Combine with sugar and water. Simmer until fruit is soft and sugar is dissolved.
    3)Add lemon juice, grated peel, and ginger. Cook until mixture reaches desired consistency.
    4)Ladle into sterilized jars, seal, and process in boiling-water bath for 10 minutes.

Yield: Five (eight ounce) jars

My SIL makes this quick bread with pears, Maybe you could bake some and freeze for later. Hope this helps.

Theresa’s Zucchini Bread (or pear or apple)

3 eggs
    1-cup vegetable oil
    2 cups sugar
    2 cups grated zucchini
    1-2 tsp cinnamon (to taste)
    2 tsp vanilla
    3 cups all purpose flour
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda

*1/2 cup chopped pecans or chocolate chips (optional)

Directions:

1-Beat eggs
    2-Add oil, sugar and zucchini, mix well on medium speed
    3-Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt
    4-Add flour mixture to cream mixture
    5-Bake at 325 for 1 hour (or until done - check with knife) in 2 greased loaf pans
    6-Turn out of pans while hot

6. shar

shar Well-Known Member

Besides Canning Them In A Light Syrup I Also Make A Couple Batches That We Call Minty Pears, Make Them The Same As Canning But When Making The Syrup Add Some Of Those Little Red Cinnamon Candies, Turns The Pears A
    Light Pink And Has A Different Taste. I Also Make Pear Sauce, Just Like Applesauce But With Pears, Be Sure To Use Fruit Fresh Or They Will Turn
    Dark.

Shar

7. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

I like to dry pears, it was a staple when I was a kid as we had huge pear trees and picked bushels off the ground. they were dried in the big outdoor bakeoven. If I had a lot of pears now i would dry them in the back of the van that is standing around. I have dried apples and pears that way.

8. blue gecko

blue gecko Well-Known Member

We dry pears till they're crisp and can hardly keep them in the house. The kids absolutely love them.

9. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

My Sister's and her husband have been turning out fantastic wine with their pears. I'll have to get the recipe. A really nice, dry white wine.

10. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

Vicker reminded me of memory I haven't visited in years. Long ago I had the blessing of spending some time in France, in the Loire Valley. It was (and hopefully still is) a land of fairy-tale chateaux where gardens are art. At one of the chateau (I can still see the castle, maybe Villandry), they had a beautiful pear orchard that had wine bottles tied to the trees. And inside of each bottle, a pear was growing. When the pear was mature, the stem was cut, the bottle filled with pear wine, corked then placed in the stone wine cavern/cellar until it was ready. (So sorry, I don't know how long that was.) I never tasted the wine however it was one of the prettiest presentations I have ever seen (I think too pretty to open). So if you decide to make wine some year, plan ahead and try the exquisite pear-in-a-bottle trick.

Bon Appetit
    BW