So Lucky's death won't be in vain. What do you think?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by sancraft, Aug 11, 2005.

1. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I don't know if everyone knows yet that I loss my wether Lucky to a dog attack. They got into my goat pen on Monday morning around 4:00 AM. All of the goats sustained injuries, but Lucky got the brunt of it. The hole about teh size of a nickel on his muzzle went all the way through to his sinus cavity. He had a deep hole on top of his head. His front leg has deep, 8 inch lond gash and numerous other scratches and puncuture wounds. I tracked the dogs until I lost them. And I managed to bump on pretty good with the car. Lucky went down Monday night and I had to have him put down Tuesday morning.

We took pictures. I plan to find the owners of the dogs or just kill the dogs. I was thinking about making copies of the pictures and handing them out to people whose dogs I see off leash and telling them that this was done by someones pets who they don't contain. Fido and Muffy become different animals when they get in pack and form a pack mentality. I don't know if it will help, but maybe, I could hope that it would. I just don't want his death to be in vain. What do you think?

2. Hovey Hollow

Hovey Hollow formerly hovey1716

Sandra........
    I would go ahead and do it. I had my cat and a neighbor's cat killed one night by a couple of Chow mix dogs. I made up a flier about a cat killer on the loose. I had also seen and heard of other cats in the neighborhood being killed. I pulled out all the stops and mentioned in my flier that dogs in a pack mentality could also injure or kill children, etc.
    I got several calls that day and by the end of the day I knew where the dogs lived. I watched their house and when they got out of the fence again I was on the phone with animal control, and I followed them until they got there. The dogs of course then ran right back into their yard. Animal control did see them get out again and took them in. I saw the owner come out and talk to them, but I never saw the dogs again, so I guess he gave them up.
    This was in a suburban neighborhood, but I bet you would get some other neighbors who are just as concerned with their livestock and who know where those dogs live. The just may turn up dead in the yard of a helpful neighbor who has a gun.
    Anyway, I guess my point is that a flier would not be pointless. I have had it work.

3. momanto

momanto SW FLORIDA HAPPYLAND

Hi - Why Not Publish Them Here? Then We Can Forward Them To Everyone We Know In Your Area. Including Your Sheriff And Congressman So They Can See How Livestock Are Treated In Their State. Hey, Tell The Usda And The State Ag. Commission They Dont Aprrove Of Such Dog/owner Behavior!! They Have Laws Against It!

4. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

I would certainly make the flyers. What could it hurt? You have pictures, you very well may find out who the owners are then you could confront them face to face with an animal control officer with you of course. I really hate careless animal owners.

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Did the dogs leave anything behind? Hair with the roots on the fence or under the fence? A good friend of mine proved through DNA (about $25) that the dog across the street was indeed the dog whose fur was on the fence and who destroyed several of her yearling does. Vicki

6. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Well, it might do several really good things. It might help you to find the owners of these dogs, might warn others and save some of their animal friends, and also might be a lesson to those owners that think it's no harm done to let their dogs run free all of the time at night. It might even make you feel a tiny bit better about what happened, especially if you help someone else avoid your pain.

I'm so sorry again, Sandra, hope you find the owners and the dogs and get some results.

hollym

7. Eveningstar

Eveningstar Active Member

Sorry to hear about that Sancraft. I hope you can find the dogs and the owners. I had a similar situation happen a year ago with my neighbors St. Bernard. Their children thought it was much fun to watch their dog stalk my sheep and send them into a wild frenzy. Thank goodness the mutt never got in with them - or fortunate for my dizzy neighbors I should say. Well, little mutt grew into big mutt which had then become a dog the kids couldn't control. After the THIRD time finding the dog running my Jersey cow, I told the animal control officer if he didn't fine the people that I wanted his permission to shoot the dog on site if I ever found him on my property again. He granted his permission. The next day, what do I find in the cow pen? You guessed it. But this time all the kids were going to get into the pen too! Nerver mind that the cow with one well aimed kick could send one of them to kingdom come!! So I hauled the "children" (they are in their teens) back out and told them that the animal control was on his way and that they were forbidden to get into the pen with the cow. I also told them that I was given permission to kill their dog if I ever found him here again. Well, they must have been given a pretty stiff fine, and scared them pretty bad, because Muttsy is now coralled in a pen and the only thing I hear from him is a bark every now and then. I would go ahead with the posters, maybe even post some at the local humane society. People might think twice before purchasing a dog that they don't have time for. I hate it when dog owners are sooooo irresponsible. I fortunately knew where my problem dog lives but I bet if you show the local police and animal control those pictures they would grant you permission to kill on site. The only problem with that is the dogs have to be on your property and harrassing your livestock which means, the dog would be in the pen with the goats, or you have a witness that can testify that they saw the same thing. And then again, some people will not care the least that their dogs are gone and will go out and get more dogs!! It's just, so, ARRRRGH, brainless.

Well, sorry for rambling on but this just irritates me because I've seen it happen and usually the farmer is the one who loses. Another friend of mine - seven miles down the road from me- had a flock of about 40 sheep. At the end of the summer, a german shepherd and another terrier got in the pen with them and attacked. She lost ONE HALF of her flock. Her daughter and young son (6 back then) had gone over to do the chores only to drive in to this horror. They went in the barn to check things out only to have the dogs come after her son with sheep hair and blood coating their barred teeth. The boy was so scared, he needed pschololgical help to calm down. His mom said he wouldn't go to sleep fearing the dogs were going to get him. They never found the dogs and she suspects that they were abandonded dogs from the summer tourists. People visiting the area will get a " summer pet" and then when they are ready to leave the area, will take it to the country and drop it off.

I guess the main thing is always have permission if you are going to destroy any animal that harrasses livestock, but it is better if you can find the owners and collect damages. Then you can stipulate that the dogs are to be destroyed at the owners expense.

Again, my apologies for being so long winded. If your posters made just one person change their mind and put their dog on a leash, your goats dying would not be in vain. Good luck to you.

8. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I'm going to do it. I'll put a flyer on every mailbox in the subdivision and on the main road in. Lucky was sa sweet and gentle. I miss him so much. To see him all bloody, with gaping holes in his muzzle and head was almost more than I could bare. Maybe if it makes one person lock up his dog and save one other animal from dying a horrible death, it'll be worth it. I'm still hunting down those 2 dogs. I told Lucky Lamb (our nickname for him) that I'd do all I could to find them and kill them. :mad: Just sleep now sweet Lucky. :(

9. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm sorry about Lucky, Sandra. We have 2 pet wethers (Nicky and Elliot) and they are the sweetest and gentlest souls. I'd post the flyers too.

10. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

About 10 years ago I lost close to 30 show goats to a pack of neighbor dogs. I called the sheriff and he told me to shoot the dogs. The only dog i could ever find to shoot was one of my own (a catalola hound that had gone bad during all this killing), so he was put down. One dog was a golden retriever and i knew who it belonged too and I was itching to shoot it but never had the satisfaction. I went out of the goat business until just last year. But this time with my own secret weapon...my Great Pyrenees pair. No more dogs even dare to set foot round here, nor coyotes. Haven't had any more problems. Dog kills are gruesome, horrible events for any livestock owner. Shoot them bad dogs. It's the law of the land here.....Diane