Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a postal scale at the other WalMart yesterday, so now I'm ready to go, but I have a last question (or two lol). I've probably read this somewhere, but I can't seem to remember.... is it ok to make cold process soap in my kitchen, or should I take it out into the garage? Also, does the temp of the room make a difference? If I have to go out to the garage it's gonna be pretty nippy. Thanks so much again!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I make my soap in the kitchen but when putting the lye and water together I go out on the porch or do it beside an open window. The fumes can be intense. :stars: GOOD LUCK

Linda

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Let'er rip right in the kitchen. Just put down a few layers of newspaper for the inevitable spills. I do mix the lye outside, once it's dissolved good, I bring it in. Are you going to stir it 10,000 times the old fashion way or the lazy man's way and use the blender for 30 seconds?

·
Registered
292 Posts
30 seconds. So that is where I am messing up being able to make a nice swirl. LOL

Linda

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm trying this very moment to decide if I should do a blender batch first since it seems simpler.... I'm just not sure if either of my blenders are large enough or if I should use the old glass blender or the newer plastic one. I do have a stick/immersion blender though, so I won't be doing as much hand stirring lol. Thanks for the tips :)

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
What day are you planning to start Kayjay? I am nearly ready to start my first batch too...I just need the caustic, if hubby can borrow some from work tonight I will have everything I need. Would be great if we can start together and so can post as we go on here....what ya think? I bought my stick blender yesterday and guess what they are called here...a stick mixer LOL.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
If the blender holds a qt., that's enough room. My blender recipe is 16 oz of oils and 7 oz of water, milk whatever and 1/2 oz of fragrance. If you go the blender route read the blender soap and ******* recipe threads here. Caution some things do seize and I don't know them all but pine tar and wintergreen can't be used. I've heard vanilla in high amounts seizes also. Know what's in your fragrance.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shazza, I had planned to do it yesterday, but ended up not having the time, so I'm doing it right now lol. I'm gonna go ahead and do a "regular" batch since I have all the stuff right here... some of my blender pieces are avoiding me lol. I'll keep checking to see if you're posting, I know it's late there though. ;)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Forgot to add, thanks Donk for the tip on the fragrances... I've already read (I think) pretty much all that stuff on blender soap. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts