So how was your potato crop??

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mutti, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

For some strange reason we haven't grown potatoes in years but this year we planted 150# and our yield has been great...so far each plant yielding 6-8# and have dug a bunch of taters over a lb and a half each...I love digging taters; just like a treasure hunt...well,unless you happen to dig up the yucky seed potato! Used to work the line on a neighbors potato farm when we lived in MI...hauled over 10,000 lbs. culls to our churchs food bank...culls,yeah, you'd take them anytime...most oversized or lumpy bumpy but couldn't sell as No1's...he sold plenty of them at the farm though. We sure won't be able to use them all-enjoying giving alot of them away. Sorted out plenty of small ones for seed next year. We built a storage room in our garage back for Y2K so have a cool dark place just right for them.

Has anyone here heard of a potato called Golden Bake...above neighbor grew them and they could be huge, bright yellow and great for storage. Perhaps they were just a MI type...would appreciate any help finding them....have searched catalogs but not found anything I consider comparable. Thanks. DEE

2. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

I grew the Kennecks this past spring. Best tater I have ever grown. Had taters running out my ears. Still eating on them, probably have about 80 pounds of them left, and fixing to plant my fall taters.

3. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

As I mentioned previously, Golden Bake never got into commercial production, for various reasons, and were replaced by Yukon Gold. Perhaps the fact that they were not fairly uniform in size was one reason for their extinction.

No shortage of spuds here. With the excess rainfall, the 25 early Red Norlands were a good 2 to 3 weeks late in dying back. Production was higher than normal for overall weight, uniform size, and more tubers than normal. 25 Carolas also were later but size was all over the place from extra large to very small. The 50 Kennebecs should be dead by now but are still green and growing. The few hills that were dug, to see what is happening, show promise of the best harvest since 1990.

Martin

4. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

I planted my potatoes late again this year...5 varieties each within its
    own 50 foot row. They are just starting to flower now. Last
    year I did late plantings also, and the potatoes, both red (norlands)
    and Yukon Gold lasted through the winter and into spring with many
    still good for planting this season.
    Does anyone know how long it takes from flowering to get a decent
    sized potato?
    Thanks.
    Ann

5. WV Rebel

WV Rebel Well-Known Member

Did anybody grow the potatoes in the rubber tires?

6. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, I've never tried growing Yukon Golds at home but they don't seem to come that big from what I see in the store around here....what is this obsession we have with having perfectly shaped taters...loved those lumpy bumpy BIG Golden Bakes and feel they had alot more flavor. Guess I'll have to try growing Yukons next year and see if good organic soil can produce something tastier than then ones I've had from the store. DEE

7. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

My Yukon Golds did Great.Don't know about my Kennebecs yet I'll start digging them soon as I run out of the Yukon Golds.Probably dig on them up until January or later.

big rockpile

8. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

My spuds failed completely. Too much rain, I think.

Oh, well, we got a LOT of carrots, tomatos, and blackberries. Helps to make up for the lack of potatos.

9. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I can't find anything on the internet. I would try and get some off of my neighbor, they send them to me. :D

10. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member Supporter

We've had a great harvest of Yukon Golds and Pontiac Reds. Kennebecs aren't quite ready yet.

One question I have. We have some really big ones! Almost every one of those has a hollow spot in the middle and most of those hollow spots have rotted. What is that caused from? My guess is so much rain? It's the only differance from this year than previous years. It's only happened in the in really really large ones; the regular size ones are fine.

11. Paquebot

Karen's problem is hollow heart/brown center. It's caused by rapid tissue growth due to cool, wet weather. Those tubers are edible but you have to cut out the brown parts. Also, they won't store well. If you find that some of your biggest ones have that disorder, be sure to eat all of your big ones first.

Martin

12. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

I grow my years supply of potatoes every year.
    This year I am afraid I may have to distroy them all.
    They have all turned green! Those that peek out of the siol always do but this year, even the ones that were deep in the soil, and were cured in the shade, still turned bright green as they cured.

I am wondering if too much nitrogin could be responsible. I compost and have goat and donkey manure in the compost. Have had for 8 years now.

Do you think I can peel them a little deeper and still use the potatoes?

13. Paquebot

Corky, some potatoes may develop a green hue, while curing, from a combination of reasons. This will often happen if a white or yellow potato is harvested before they are fully mature. By fully mature, that is when the plant has completely died and dried up. Then, exposure to natural light will be sufficient to cause it. It does not have to be direct sunlight. Carolas and Yukon Golds will do that if I leave them outside for a week and that is in an area that is so shaded that grass barely grows. The potatoes are quite edible as the green is barely skin-deep and there is not enough solanine produced to be a problem.

Martin

14. Leay

Leay Well-Known Member

I didn't get my garden in this year until June :eek: because of all the rain. The garden patch was a mud-hole! Everything has done great though. We just dug a couple of hills of red potatoes and they are huge. Maybe all that rain was a good thing...
    Leay

15. Lolli Pop

Lolli Pop Member

Growing taters has always fascinated me. I would love to hear your ways of growing and storing them. I'm a complete novice, so details are greatly appriciated! Thanks, Lolli