So, how do you eat your wild rice?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cabin Fever, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Not to be out done by the rebs at this forum, I was just wondering how the rest of you yankees like your wild rice.

For me, I like wild rice for breakfast....with cream and maple syrup.

2. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

I like my special pilaf-1/2 c white rice, 1/2 cup brown rice, and 2 T wild rice....

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    As everyone with an education knows, wild rice is only eaten after there is a grits shortage because of the yankees discovering what is good for the general population to eat. Those opinions are held by persons whom shall remain unknown because of their addiction to lye dipped fish, common to the residents of 'The Snow Belt', and known to be married to women whom mention 'Something in their hair' as a general description. I wonder who..... :confused: .

4. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

And where is your rice grown?

5. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Thick Wild Rice and mushroom Soup. YUM!

6. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

I like wild rice in stuffing for poultry (raised in the north).

7. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................Too much wild rice , will cause you to start talking like "Charlie Chan" , and you will find yourself , jumping out of your truck at Red Lights :eek: and practicing the Chinese Fire Drill :p . Then , you'll have to RE-Register with the User name of........"Papasan" , perish the Thought ! :eek: , fordy.. :)

8. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

I like mine in paella.

9. moonwolf

Wild Rice is grown in North America. Very little, if any, comes from China.
    Wild Rice is an original American or Canadian native grass that grows in association generally with northern or upper midwest wild pond or lake environments.

10. deb

deb Well-Known Member

Chicken and Wild Rice Soup with fresh rosemary, mushrooms and tiny carrots. Preferably served on a cold day (-5 or colder) with a slab of warm buttered bread. Yum!

Deb
    in wi

11. I think wild rice is what mom fed me when I was a baby....right? Came in a box with the Gerber Baby photo on the cover.

:D :haha: :D

12. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

Top with ground beef, cream of mushroom soup, salt, and pepper.

Save the leftover rice for breakfast. Heat up in a pan, top with eggs over easy, butter, salt, pepper, crumbled bacon, and cheese.

Not as good as grits, but edible. :haha:

Bob

13. foxies

foxies Well-Known Member

It's great in tater soup with leeks
    Ann

14. newengland

newengland Active Member

wild rice, mixed into brown rice, with lots of mushrooms, and olive oil or butter

15. Timber

Timber Well-Known Member

Wife loves it just cooked, she throws in a couple of chicken bouilons in for flavor.
    For me it's Wild rice beer cheese soup. The best with good old New Ulm Hauenstein strong :yeeha: ......and goat cheese.
    Then, again for breakfast it's Northern Lites Pancake Mix.

The only good wild rice is hand wood parched (brown), as the commercial ones that are black we don't like them.

Timber

16. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

Oohhhh...Hauenstein! My dad used to drink that. The beer cheese soup sounds good.

We always make a wild rice casserole for Christmas and other occasions that is absolutely decadent. You cook the wild rice in chicken boullion broth; while it's cooking, fry some bacon, then add some butter to the bacon grease and saute some mushrooms, green peppers, and onions. Then in a saucepan slowly heat a can of cream of mushroom soup, milk, grated cheddar cheese, and as much red wine as you like. (At this point I am usually cooking with a glass of red wine in one hand. ;) ) Mix it all together in a casserole dish with some fresh chopped parsley, sprinkle some paprika on top, and bake for an hour. Mmmmm... I'm still enjoying the leftovers! :)

I agree, hand harvested, wood parched lake rice is the best. I would like to harvest my own some time; a few of the guys I've worked with have done it. I guess it's a lot of work for a few pounds of rice though.

17. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

This is my favorite way too. I like to use morels.
    Flutemandolin, I'm going to have to try your recipe, sounds good!!!!

18. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

So do you pick the rice yourself/buy it in the store?

I'll have to pick up a bag and try it...

19. moonwolf

Frank,
    In NW Ontario the natives pick real wild rice, which is noted as some of the world's best. It's then graded and processed by a distributor for the retail trade. We get it available about any convenince grocery store, gas station, or tourist shop. Last time I paid about $13 for a 3 lb. bag of premiumm long grain brown wild rice. This is the best, but for half that you can get broken grain wild rice which is just as tasty but not the best consistency.
    I would google on line if you can and find a source that will ship to you.

Rich

20. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

Acutally, i'm lucky enough to have the megasuperfoodstore Woodmans with miles of where i live. They carry just about everything you could think of...i'll pick some up and try it...thanks...

Just off the top of my head, but if a person goes out and picks there own, isn't there a chance you could pick rice with some toxin on it?(algae or something?)???

i know i've read this somewhere...