So, how do you eat your grits?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Dec 28, 2004.

1. Was reading some previous thread I posted on....something about McDonalds/biscuits and gravy/grits. It was interesting that some people had never even heard of grits much less tasted them and some of the ways some people fix theirs up. I grew up eating grits while my wife who grew up in the east (5 miles east of me) had only tried grits one or two times while growing up. When I introduced her to them her she poured milk and sugar all over hers and didn't eat very much of them. Said they don't taste very good. I thought of coarse not your eating them wrong. I put a big slab of butter on them and stir them up good and then salt & pepper them. Yum-yum.

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i didn't grow up with them, but learned to love 'em. any way you fix 'em, they are good. :)

butter and sugar,

with an over light egg, all mushed up together,

with good sawmill gravy,

by themselves,

with butter and salt,

leftover, sliced and fried the next morning, with or without maple syrup.

grits is good.:)

3. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

Just had them as a special treat for Christmas breakfast with sugar cured ham and our fresh eggs and biscuits...with butter and salt and pepper.

4. CoonXpress

CoonXpress Well-Known Member

A bit of butter and a dash or 20 of Tabasco.

5. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

I make creamy grits. I use cream, instead of water, and the more butter and pepper I can get in them, the better.

6. Dreams30

Dreams30 Lady Rider

With 2 overeasy eggs and cheese ;)

7. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I eat mine with bacon and cheese :drool: :salivate: .

8. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

With Butter, Please.

9. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

fried in bacon grease (heart attack on a plate, I know :( )

10. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Y'all,
    Me too. DSW was raised in N. Carolina. she LOVES Grits, any which way
    you can serve them..
    Hunnh, I just like "Food". I can eat Grits with her, any which way, too.
    Have a good-un

11. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I think grits is what Mom fed me when I was a baby....right? Came in a box with the Gerber Baby photo on the cover.

12. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

Made with milk instead of water with butter and sugar

or with hot sauce

or with bacon and cheese

or with nearly any kind of gravy

13. miclew

miclew Well-Known Member

SUGAR on GRITS??? Y'all ain't from the south! Sugar on grits is downright GROSS! No respectable southerner would even think 'bout eating them that way.

Everyday grits - butter, salt and maybe some pepper. Might even mush up a fried egg in it (over easy, gotta have some runny yolk to mix in).

Special day grits - cheese grits! Could even do a cheese and sausage grits casserole. If you eat um this way you gotta add some Tabasco.

Really special grits - This is a South Carolina low country special - Shrimps (notice the S, it is a southern thing to say shrimps and not shrimp) over grits. The grits is usually cooked with milk 'stead of water when served this way.

We eat grits probably 5 times a week. We only use the regular long cooking stuff. Quick grits are ok in a pinch but instant grits are NEVER acceptable!

Michele <----------- deep in GA near the GA/SC line, her daddy born and raised in MS

14. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

Well lets see, grits is corn, corn + bovine = steak, only way grits is fit to eat!!!!

15. Bob_W_in_NM

Bob_W_in_NM Well-Known Member

Never developed a taste for grits. I tried them once and decided they weren't for me. Dad was from Oklahoma, but never mentioned eatling them. Mom was from Chicago and they sure don't (or didn't at the time) eat grits up there! (When she first landed in NM in the late 1940's, she had't even heard of chicken fried steak!)

My mom was a great cook and even being from Chicago, learned to put together a mean plate of red enchiladas. When dad was out of town, we ate lots of German food.

Much to my mother's chagrin, my dad used to say he couldn't get any good fried chicken unless one of his sisters fried it up. Mom wasn't very good at it either, I must admit, but I shut up and ate her fried chicken.

I find it interesting that the cuisine has become "homogenized" in the country, especially the once regional dishes. Guess that's one by product of a mobile society.

16. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Reason most folks don't like grits is they only have tried the stuff that comes in a cardboard box and tastes more like cardboard than real grits. You really need to grind your own. Then you eat them with butter, your home grown eggs (sunny side up), home raised ham and red eye gravy.

Now we need to discuss which is best; yellow grits or white grits? My vote goes for yellow. :haha:

17. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

Well, I'll admit the only grits I've ever eaten were at "Waffle House", but I love them. My SO eats them with butter.... I prefer pouring maple syrup over them.

Can you make fried grits just like fried corn meal mush? That sounds good. With maple syrup again, however. :)

18. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

This Minnesota-born Scandinavian girl is a born again grits eater! :haha: We like the white grits by Arrowhead Mills, with butter, maybe some cheese, bacon, and salsa (salsa verde is best). I also like shrimp(s) and grits for a main course.

19. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Say, umm, Lena, I thought grits was for breakfast only?

20. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Yes you can fry grits just like corn mush. Only the grits are healthier because the process of making hominy makes the b vitamins bio available.

Grits can be used like polenta for main dishes.