So, how do I know.....

Discussion in 'Goats' started by pourfolkes, Oct 1, 2006.

1. pourfolkes

pourfolkes Well-Known Member

Okay, I have my buck, who by the way acts totally mental when in rut, in with my nubians and my boer/alpine cross does. I saw him mount the nubian and now I know what flagging is. Talk about a love hate relationship.... geez. Anyway, for 2 days he pestered my nubian doe and now, they seem to have no interest in each other, so I am assuming that she is bred. Now, thus far, my 75% boer/25% alpine does have shown no interest at all in breeding and alltho the smells them, he does not act the same way as he did with the nubian, so again, I am assuming that they are not in heat as of yet. I know that different breeds go into heat at different times, but is this normal for a boer cross? How will I know if they are bred? Is there anything I can do to induce them to come into heat? Also, since they are primarily boer, will they breed year round or just Aug. thru Dec.? Thanks

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Give the other does 2 weeks....its never taken longer then that for a stinky buck to bring the does into heat for me...

I do think some Boers will breed year round....but heat may be a problem for you in the South :shrug:

BTW I'm happy to hear you got a buck to use!!! :)

3. pourfolkes

pourfolkes Well-Known Member

Yes, I did. I actually ended up trading my alpine doe for this buck. He is supposed to be a Nigerian Dwarf, and he looks like one, but I have to say that he is a large, very muscled goat. I could not find anyone near with one that they could bring me, so I felt that it was better to trade one doe for a buck then not to have any breedings at all. Since this is my first time with this, I am kind of fumbling through it all..lol I am goat challenged....lol

4. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

So does my Nigerian Dwarf buck - my big girls have to pass his pen after milking, so I let them sniff noses (great way to check if they're in heat!). We have a good laugh at the noises and antics he comes up with. :p

5. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

This weekend I saw a NG buck going all out to entice a doe in heat to come just a little closer to the fence.

He reminded me of a Star Wars creature with the sounds he was making and his stocky build. He seemed more like a hog than a goat. I would love to have had a video camera with me. It would definitely go on YouTube.