So happy my trade wasnt all it was supposed to be--

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by ceresone, Sep 29, 2006.

1. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

Ever have a trade that wasnt as it was supposed to be? I did, last year--and I'm so pleased with it. I traded for some garlic on another forum (not here) and noticed this spring that some of my "garlic" , instead of having flat growth, some was round, like onions--not all, just some.
    In digging, i found, that in addition to garlic, I had multiplier onions, both yellow, and white. now, thanks to this forum, and 2 others, I have "walking onions, multiplier onions, and several kinds of garlic. In a few years, I'll have enough to pass along. :p

2. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Sounds like someone simply mixed both garlic and onions together without separating and identifying each. But it could also be an innocent mistake. Garlic rounds look very much like small onion bulbs. In order to propagate a garlic variety not available in the US, I received small topset bulbils from a gardener in Denmark. The only place available for planting was where there had been topsetting pearl onions. Thus there were a lot of those topsets in the soil. All came up at the same time and looked almost identical. Both the onions and small garlic plants even died back at the same time. Everything dug up at once and then began the process of separating the garlic rounds from the onions when all were the same size. When fresh from the ground, it was hard to tell the difference. Only after washing and drying were they able to be more easily identified.

Martin

3. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

just everyone will know, it wasnt a trade on this forum--but, i'm delighted with the mistake