Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We only get to go work on our land every six to eight weeks for a couple of days at a time. So in two years we haven't gotten a lot done. But we did move one of those Mennonite buildings onto the land for us to stay in when we do get to go up. It is a 10x20 and we have a futon to sleep on and an air mattress in one of the lofts for our son when he goes with us. The other loft is for storage. We put down a laminate wood floor, added insulation to the walls and ceiling. Put up some paneling on the walls.
A couple of weeks ago we put a camper sized sink in the "kitchen area".
And hubby built a shower/potty house we sat out behind the "cabin". We have no running water so we use barrels of water and we get that to the sink and shower using a small motor hooked to a deep cell battery.
We heat the water for the shower and washing dishes in pots on the camp stove. We were lucky enough to be there for 8 days at the end of October and we were able to have nice hot showers the whole time. :)
We do our cooking on the camp stove and the campfire.
We are slowly clearing out some of the saplings and small pine trees around the cabin and along the driveway. Which means we are never out of campfire wood. LOL
When we need power we have a generator to use. And we do have lights wired in the cabin and several plug ins. So we do have lights and can watch tv if needed/wanted. It's not perfect, and it's slow going since we don't get to go up as much as we would like.
But it's ours, and we are doing it our way in our own time.
We enjoy getting to visit, and it's the most relaxed times when we are there. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
...............You have a very beautiful piece of property ! Can you tell us the price range of land per acre in your area ? Could you have located a travel trailer on your land , if you were going to build structure to live in ? Thanks , fordy

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fordy,
Land prices around here are somewhere from 5-10 thousand an acre and UP. But that's cause of the mnts and location. We are close to Helen Ga, Dahlonega Ga, Blairsville Ga. And a little farther away is Ellijay and Blue Ridge Ga. All touristy places.
The only way we can afford up here is the owner financing, which some people hate, but the only way we can afford it. And this is the area I have ALWAYS wanted to be.
On our contract it says we can have a travel trailer but have to move it every 60 days for like a week. We did have one for a while, and the guy we are buying from never said anything even though it stayed for more than 60 days. But we wanted something a little more comfortable than the one we had.
My dream house is a two story dogtrot. We'll see if that happens. LOL
We have time to decide on the final plan since we have a good job where we are currently living and don't plan on leaving for a while longer. Unless of course we win the lottery, right? :rotfl::hysterical:

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Fordy,
Land prices around here are somewhere from 5-10 thousand an acre and UP. But that's cause of the mnts and location. We are close to Helen Ga, Dahlonega Ga, Blairsville Ga. And a little farther away is Ellijay and Blue Ridge Ga. All touristy places.
The only way we can afford up here is the owner financing, which some people hate, but the only way we can afford it. And this is the area I have ALWAYS wanted to be.
On our contract it says we can have a travel trailer but have to move it every 60 days for like a week. We did have one for a while, and the guy we are buying from never said anything even though it stayed for more than 60 days. But we wanted something a little more comfortable than the one we had.
My dream house is a two story dogtrot. We'll see if that happens. LOL
We have time to decide on the final plan since we have a good job where we are currently living and don't plan on leaving for a while longer. Unless of course we win the lottery, right? :rotfl::hysterical:
.............Wow ! I'm not surprised given the demand for small tracts with the kind of beauty I see from your pics . Sounds like you found your place to retire . , thanks , fordy

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the kind comments Fordy.
When we bought the land we had what they called "seasonal" views. Which basically means when the leaves are all dead and off the trees we could see the mnts. But now that we are cutting some trees down and doing some clearing we have opened up a year round mnt view. It is beautiful and I am really excited about it! lol
We of course have situated the future home site to take advantage of the best mnt view. Can't wait to sit on my porch and enjoy that view. LOL
And the fall colors are just wonderful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts