Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dh has to do some work up there. I might could tag along and leave my kiddos with a trusted babysitter. I am just not sure if I WANT to go? Exactly how cold will it be all you Alaska people?

Cindyc.

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
If his work is going to foot the bill for you to stay in Alaska too, I would go for it if I were you! You may never get another chance to go there....

·
Registered
623 Posts
Sure, it will be cold... not gonna lie...but why not experience it just once? Sounds like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Where do you live now? I moved up from northern Minnesota and find the winters are no worse, just different. And what part of Alaska would you be staying in? We do have some "killer" aurora that we could show you and you can't find that just anywhere! :D

·
God Smacked Jesus Freak
7,456 Posts
it all depends on where you're going! so where is it? I would SO totally go! my dad wants to give me and my hub a cruise to Alaska this summer for a belated 20th anniversary present. I've got a few months to try to convince my hub to take this trip of a life time--first off his dog goes into deep depression when she can't be with him, and he worries about running the biz while we'd be gone(we've got a great girl that can handle it though and she has done a great job when ever we've taken off for vacation before), and he worries about leaving the boys at home(my dad would come stay and we've got great neighbors that would keep an eye on them the boys are 15 and 18 for petes sake!) We've never taken a trip just us two, ony a few rare overnights at the beach.

If I can't get him to go, then maybe I'll just go with my dad when he does the next cruise(he goes with a retirement home to wrangle old people). I would so freakin love to go to ALaska! I would so love to go sometime in the winter, but there is no way in you know what I would ever get my hub to go in the winter, boo!

BTW, we did nothing for our 20th anniversary :D

PS< I hope they have a "Sarah Palin is my Homie" t-shirts!

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
How long would you be there? That would make a difference to me, as in how long I would be away from my kids and how long I want to be in a very cold environment.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Yes, you should absolutely go if you have the chance. The temperature depends a lot on where you go; one year I was in Anchorage in mid-February and it was upper 20's; Last year I was in Talkeetna late Feb/early March and it was -15, so it can be very different.

It's gorgeous. Just take the time to prepare, and invest in the right clothing/attire and you'll be all set.

·
Registered
623 Posts
go, go, go. I have been desparately trying to convince my husband to move to Alaska until I realized how cold it is in the winter. I am a displaced Southern girl who froze her fanny off for five years in Germany and still curses the ice everytime it comes here in Ky.

But if offered, I would go to Alaska tomorrow!

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
If you don't go, how will you know if you ever want to live there? My Uncle Bob played that song "North to Alaska" for years and dreamed of homesteading up there. When he finally sold evereything and moved, it was way too harsh a climate for him after Florida....he ended up in Tennessee.

·
Island of Blueb
1,007 Posts
Well if you go to Barrow -11 is average for Dec....Ketchican 36.
Right! Alaska is a big state! Where are you going?

We are in the southeastern part and we had a really mild fall and early winter. No snow or hard freeze.

Taken in my Alaska garden December 9th, 2008:

Yes, we did get a cold snap a few days after this was taken. This morning it is calm and 20F.

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't think he has been told where he has to go in Alaska yet, just that he has to go in Jan. He should know more this afternoon. He has a meeting about it then.

Cindyc.

·
Registered
865 Posts
It will be an experience of a lifetime. If you are coming to Fairbanks you'd probably never, ever experience -40F degrees again. January is our coldest month of the year. Usually we get a week or two -30F snaps. The ice fog is so cool! It is an interesting feeling to not be able to breath when you are outside because you're lungs are instantly frozen unless you have your mouth covered. I'm not looking forward to January and toting around 6 children. You'll never forget it!

We'd love to meet you too! We should have an AK Homesteaders get together. :) I think there are at least 6 of us on here.?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Another Fairbanks area person here. Of course you want to go to Alaska in January! Winter is beautiful.

You might see -

or

or if you are really lucky this -

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ooohh, yea, I want to go, ... I think. The minus 60 thing... not so much, but it would be worth it to see the northern lights. How many people get to see that?

Cindyc.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
were very glad to go in April which is breakup- yucky grey snpw and melting ice- and expect short Jan visit would be interesting as well. Three mos then? I'd go crazy.

·
Banned
6,787 Posts
I bet a lot of your veiws of Alaska have been shaped by things written about the winters .Why not go and see them! If ya can push the trip far enough back to catch the Fur Rondy in Anchorage and the Iditarod!
A great side point is most Alaskans have more time to socialize and play in winter.
I think winter is the BEST time to see Alaska!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts