Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i'm living in Houston with homesteading on my mind...2018 holiday season memories are fading fast...and i'm looking forward to going to my land at the end of April...dealing with all this urban baggage gets tiring...how about you?

so where are at in the urban to homestead journey?
are you just now looking?
making payments and longing?
already there?
on the place and considering other options?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Finally there...
Got the House, got the land and the workshed...
Garden got prepped last fall, Chickens got prepped last fall, Solar goes up this spring...
500+ $ in shopping cart for fruit trees/shrubs/bushes waiting for the click to order...
Cant wait to have this useless forced pause (winter) gone and start cranking...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally there...
Got the House, got the land and the workshed...
Garden got prepped last fall, Chickens got prepped last fall, Solar goes up this spring...
500+ $ in shopping cart for fruit trees/shrubs/bushes waiting for the click to order...
Cant wait to have this useless forced pause (winter) gone and start cranking...
$500!!! That's sweet...good luck with 2019...

·
Registered
37,593 Posts
Jerry, you staying in a tent on your place?

I have a cousin up there that is a mason, and I expect you have a lot of rocks. He'd help you build a shelter if you helped him and paid him. He is very talented with rock. I'd expect the price would be fair if you are not in any hurry.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Yes...we are from Germany, and we cant believe how expensive so many things are that ARE FROM HERE...
Like a bag Walnuts(little bit more than your pound here)...is 1.99 in Germany..FROM CALIFORNIA...and here 6+ a pound...also from California
So we want to be able to grow stuff like that our self...
And of course others as well...Brussels Sprouts...you need a lottery win or a first child for that here and "at home"...pennies a pound...
But i assume your plans look similar and i wish you most of luck
Especially since you are in the great position to be able to garden around the year, without our useless winter break up here...
You Could even do Aquaponics (http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/Travis/IBCofAquaponics1.pdf) with Tilapia fish for home use hole year round ( i tried in Jersey, but to cold/expensive to heat all year round)

·
Registered
37,593 Posts
Yes...we are from Germany, and we cant believe how expensive so many things are that ARE FROM HERE...
Like a bag Walnuts(little bit more than your pound here)...is 1.99 in Germany..FROM CALIFORNIA...and here 6+ a pound...also from California
So we want to be able to grow stuff like that our self...
And of course others as well...Brussels Sprouts...you need a lottery win or a first child for that here and "at home"...pennies a pound...
But i assume your plans look similar and i wish you most of luck
Especially since you are in the great position to be able to garden around the year, without our useless winter break up here...
You Could even do Aquaponics (http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/Travis/IBCofAquaponics1.pdf) with Tilapia fish for home use hole year round ( i tried in Jersey, but to cold/expensive to heat all year round)
I wonder why things from here are so cheap in Germany.

I don't think you can't do much in a garden here in the winter.

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
Making final preps to move in June.

Reactions: jerry arnold

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Ours is unfortunately on hold for the foreseeable future. We were making plans (thankfully hadn't purchased property yet) and then two family members got sick and moved in with us (one sick kid back home, one elderly mother moving in). We realized we can't financially go through with the homesteading plans in the current situation, as well as some health conditions from the kid that make it nearly impossible to do it where we want to.

Took some serious soul searching, and, I'm not going to lie, we've both gone through some depression over it, but that's life. Eventually, maybe. Right now we're just doing what we can where we are - luckily I can still do a lot of gardening here (not as much as I was dreaming about, but enough), and some lovely man is just finishing building me a chicken coop/run. Neighbors are ok with it as long as we don't get roosters and they get some eggs occasionally - have already buttered them up with excess produce over the years, so that's a bonus.

Sometimes life is just unpredictable and you have to roll with it. I live vicariously through y'all right now. Good luck to everyone currently on their way :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Ok, i'm living in Houston with homesteading on my mind...2018 holiday season memories are fading fast...and i'm looking forward to going to my land at the end of April...dealing with all this urban baggage gets tiring...how about you?

so where are at in the urban to homestead journey?
are you just now looking?
making payments and longing?
already there?
on the place and considering other options?
I have a friend in Houston who is trying to get me to move back there. He's on 1960 so it's a decent area. I used to live near S Gessner and Braeswood .. that was incredibly convenient.

·
Registered
18,721 Posts
I have a friend in Houston who is trying to get me to move back there. He's on 1960 so it's a decent area. I used to live near S Gessner and Braeswood .. that was incredibly convenient.
At least the Walgreen is close by.

Lol just kidding. My mother grew up on Jack Rabbit road (FM 1960). Another city girl turned country.

·
Registered
37,593 Posts
At least the Walgreen is close by.

Lol just kidding. My mother grew up on Jack Rabbit road (FM 1960). Another city girl turned country.
Out in the sticks on highway 6

Name that band

Reactions: mreynolds
1 - 20 of 42 Posts