Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,531 Posts
If some stranger came knocking on my door at that time of night, they would be greeted with the barrel of a shotgun.

You don't know how many kooks are out there.
"Ever hear of AAA?"
"What do I look like, a bank?"

Do you have a chain on your door? If not, get one. This crack head might have been feeling you out. Did he ask for your husband by name? Or did he just ask "is your husband home?"
If you had responded "no he's not." Then you might have had more trouble than you ever would want.

Don't mean to scare you , but there are alot of kooks out there.

·
Übernerd
502 Posts
Ardie/WI said:
A bit of a thread drift here.

A couple of weeks ago, Roger came home from the dump and said that the JW were coming down the road and asked what he should do.

I told him to strip naked and answer the door. I guarenteed him that they wouldn't come back again.
I had a friend that would sit where she was visible from the window and use sign language with her sister and pretend she couldn't hear the door. Of course, she's now converted to Mormonism, and will likely wind up doing some door-knocking of her own. Karma in action, I guess.

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,531 Posts
Ardie/WI said:
A bit of a thread drift here.

A couple of weeks ago, Roger came home from the dump and said that the JW were coming down the road and asked what he should do.

I told him to strip naked and answer the door. I guarenteed him that they wouldn't come back again.
Suppodedly one way to get rid of them is to fly the American flag on your house. I don't know how true this is.
My grandmother was a JW, (drove us nuts too) and they don't believe in honoring the flag.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Zipporah said:
I don't go to my door after dark.Everyone that knows us knows to call first.I had two young men who said they were Mormons come one night at nine.I thought that was strange and wouldn't let them in.I just wouldn't go to the door.Hope you get your money back.

Good Call, Zip. Mormon missionaries have a 9 pm curfew. They have to be inside their residence by 9 pm. Also, they can be visually identified by the name badges they are required to wear, as well as the black pants, white shirt and tie. There will always be 2 of them, but they will never knock at 9, never come in if your man isn't home, and NEVER ask for money. If it ever happens again, ask their names. The correct response will ALWAYS be "Elder So and So" (whatever their last name is.) They will never tell you their first name. You should notify the mormon church in your area that this happened, so they can be aware that someone is or was impersonating a missionary pair.

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
FiddleKat said:
Suppodedly one way to get rid of them is to fly the American flag on your house. I don't know how true this is.
My grandmother was a JW, (drove us nuts too) and they don't believe in honoring the flag.
I think watching their faces when they see a very naked, hairy man would be more fun!

·
Übernerd
502 Posts
Probably similar to the face a Japanese JW made when he knocked on my door in Japan and my white, foreign self answered. I felt a little sorry for him, poor guy- he just shoved a couple of Japanese Watchtowers at me and took off, never to be heard from again.

By contrast, I once had one stop me in a shopping mall in Kobe. This woman had beautiful English, was very nice, and didn't mention Jehovah's Witnesses or religion even once. Just asked me if I ever got homesick, and said if I did, I should call this number. It wasn't until I looked at the pamphlet she gave me that I was even sure she was a JW. Very subtle, Japanese way of going about it. Heh.

·
..where do YOU look?
3,920 Posts
Ardie, I did EXACTLY that, and they've never been back

·
Premium Member
16,003 Posts
Geeze nothing like this ever happens to me. :(

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I guess I was "one of those guys" recently.

Last month, my dad had given me his old 88 Ford Taurus to have as a second car. I knew it was a junker but decided to drive it home to work on it. Well, it didn't make it. It went dead on a four lane highway and I coasted just shy of the next intersection.

It was almost dark out (about 6:00 PM) and I wasn't about to try to flag anyone down as I knew I wasn't an ax murderer but didn't know if they person who stopped wouldn't be.

My wife had the only cell phone (naturally) so I had no way to contact anyone. Well, the little road nearest to me led to the local Sam's club about a mile and a half away. So I took off walking. This road was very dark with little or no shoulder other than ditches and rocky places. But what I did do was find a house only about 100 yards down the road. I went up on the carport and rang the doorbell. I backed about six feet away from the door so that whoever answers wouldn't feel threatened. Soon an older man answered and I told them my car had broken down and I asked him if they had a cordless phone I could use. He smiled and went to get it. I called my wife on the cell phone while the man waited. Ironically she was at the very Sam's club I was heading. So I told her to wait there and finish her shopping and I'd walk up to the store.

I thanked the man and left. He didn't have to let me use his phone but he did. Although I didn't anticipate how dark it is to walk along the woods with few street lights. I stumbled a few times but made it.

·
Premium Member
5,492 Posts
We had an elderly JW couple show up at our house this past Saturday morning. Our congregation meets in a building on the property so when we saw them pull up Dh went out to greet them. He invited them to join us for services, but after they got over their shock of being greeted in hebrew by a bearded man in a kippah and tallit, they politely declined and left in a hurry. Don't imagine we will be getting any more visit from them. :)

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Aguy came to our door one time and ran the same line. I was home alone with the girls so I didn't open the door. I told him to wait just a moment and cam back with my cell phone in my hand. I told him my husband was on his way home from work and he'd help pull his car out. I said he'd know him when he saw him, he'd be the big, black guy in the truck with the gun rack in the back. Needless to say, he left double time out of our yard. Another time a guy was in our back yard casing the house. I was in the barn preparing the evening feed. Since it was getting dark, I took my German Shepherd with me. She heard/saw him first and started that low growl with hackles up. I opened the feed room door and she had him on the ground in less that 10 seconds. She held him and I came out of the barn with a pitch fork and asked him to identify himself before I told the dog to rip his throat out. He asked if this was "some name"s" house. I told him no. I called off the dog and he took off running. I went ahead and fed quickly and Violet went in the house until DH got home. I sure do miss having that dog.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
FiddleKat said:
Not true, I have a big USA flag on my house and they still come.

·
Evil Poptart
585 Posts
This door to door begging became a regular occurrence in our old neighborhood (in the city). A guy would come to the door and ask for money because his car was out of gas. I told him that I didn't keep cash in the house. One neighbor offered to take a gas can and drive him to the gas station; he suddenly had other plans. Another neighbor finally put an end to it by telling the guy that he was in our neighborhood newsletter and no one was going to give him money for crack.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
True story: My hubby's grandpa was a very untrusting soul...he met a salesman at the door with a revolver one afternoon and the guy took off out of there in a flash...went to the next house that wasn't home...then the next house where a nice middle aged couple answered the door. The guy still visibly shaken said...that man down the street is crazy!!!! The nice middle aged man said....Mister..this isn't your day...that crazy old man is my father in law!

·
Registered
162 Posts
since were talking vagrents I had a couple come through my yard one day about 10-12 years back. I was burning brush and standing out watching the fire when these two seedy looking guys made their way down my neighbors driveway. its about 1000 feet long so I had lots of time to watch them. they both had back packs and were real shaggy looking from a distance. the knocked on the first neighbors door and got no answer and then moved to the next closest house to me. they didn't find anyone there and made the way to where I was. they were asking for a ride to the nearest truck stop about 20 minutes west and I said I was busy. they made there way back down the driveway and stopped at the road just long enough to light their crack pipe and then kept walking.

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
My sis and niece showed up unannounced at 9:30 last night... I greeted them with a handgun hid behind my back, until I'd identified them. My niece 'never knew' I greeted rare night time visitors thataway... of course, my sis, knowing me, knew I had some 'protection' on me.

Any woman nowadays that's home alone owes it to herself and her family to have some means of protection readily available.

911? Ha! It's a 45 minute ride for the sheriffs dept., and that's if they have someone available.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Late at night visitor "Is your husband home?"

Woman of the house"Yes, he is, and he has a shotgun aimed at you."

:D

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
well the guy never showed up....which is exactly what I expected. I seriously doubt we'll see him again. If he does show up....the gun is still by the door. I kinda like the way it looks there. :) He definitely won't get anymore $. One time I'll go along with but after that it becomes being taken advantage of. We had a young family that started calling dh (he was the deacon in charge at the time) and the first time we helped them. It was late one weekend night. Gave them all the info to call the church and get some help lined up...they never called. Without fail the next weekend they started calling again. We were gone so they left messages and then started calling the next # on the church machine. We were without a pastor so they put the deacons as people to get in touch with. They managed to get a handout that time too. I guess they finally got the messaage that we weren't going to just hand them everything....they needed to actually try.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts