Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we're sitting in the den watching some tv. Now nobody and I mean nobody comes to our house that late unless something is wrong. Or they want something. I went to the door and looked out the little window on it. Didn't know the man out there but he proceeded to tell me who he was and that he was looking for dh. Dh is in the bathroom putting his teeth in (he has a partial that he doesn't wear at home but wouldn't be caught out without it) so he finally gets to the door and opens it. You'd think the blasted dog would at least bark......she just about wagged her whole backend off at this stranger. :nono: So he had broke down on the road...tried to act like he knew dh and asked him for $12 to keep the wrecker from towing his truck to the impound yard. Said he'd be back tonight to pay him back. Dh being the kind soul that he is gave it to him. I don't expect to see him back. If it had just been me home he wouldn't have gotten anything.......I don't keep cash. Dh though is willing to help anyone whenever he can. Its one of the things I love dearly about him, its also one of the things that can drive me batty.

·
Tub-thumper
1,588 Posts
Hmmm...it could go either way. He could know of your DH, like the way I knew of my new neighbor's ex husband because his father used to be my other neighbor's plumber (seriously).

I wouldn't know him to stop him on the street and have a conversation but I would "know" him enough to pick his house instead of the house beside him if my truck broke down in the area.

I hope he pays you back. If not, he may have really really needed the money. Your DH is a good guy.

/VM

P.S. If I was home alone, I wouldn't have opened the door to him, either, although I would have offered to call someone for him.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Yup, that's exactly what I thought. Back in the day (15 yrs ago or more) the amount was $7.00, not $12.00, and it was usually "for my kid's asthma prescription, please!". Then the guy went straight to his supplier, got his fix, and you were left feeling good about helping some poor guy's kid having an asthma attack :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Many yrs ago, It was 10:00pm Sat...I got a phone call: "Hello, is DH (his real name) their?" "No, may I take a message?", I asked. Yes, this is 'John Wrong', I am an old friend of DH". See --dh has lived here all of his life, his parents lived here for 90yrs--he is kin to half the people in the county--etc and many people I meet once and don't remember names/faces, so it was possible. He gave me this big story about being at the hosp (we live about 5miles from the hosp) and his motorcyle broke down, he had a friend who was going to bring him by my house if I could loan him some gas money to get home on... I didn't want a man, I didn't know, coming to my house--home w/ little kids alone, and I didn't really have much cash.. But he kept saying,"My aunt is so-in-so and lives just up the road" ,"I'll bring it back tomorrow", "I know where the house is but which one is your" "I am sick and need to get home"... Well that last line hit me--If he has a friend that will pick him up, bring him to my house, take him to the gas station, get gas, take him to the hosp.--he has a friend to take him tail home!!! So,torn between him being friend of DH and afraid that he might come over and try to steal something--hurt my children etc... I agreed to take $4 to his aunts house.. When I arrived her sons were out on the driveway working on a truck. I told them what was going on---the oldest was so mad! He told me that this man was a crack head. He sits around w/ a phonebook, calling everyone that lives w/in the area telling some story--asking for money for his crack.. He makes notes beside the names of who gives, who doesn't, who wasn't at home when he called! I told the boys to tell him that I was going home and to call the police and report it. I didn't.. Two yrs. later, the same man, was caught breaking into my friends house, had beaten her dog-big vet bill-seems he was going from house to house asking for gas money, while his buddies drove the car along the main road.They had walkie talkies and 300$ in cash that people had given them...They found a house where the no one was home and they were helping themselves!

I do hope that the man brings the money back! Be careful- ask your neighbors if they had a man asking for gas money-- I feel really bad because when someone really needs help--I question it....I asked a friend who is a State Hwy Patrolman, what is the best thing to do if someone comes to the house asking for money, help---He said: Do NOT unlock your doors, tell them you will call someone for them or you can call the police/wrecker etc. Tell them to wait-go into the hall and 'speak' to someone ---NEVER-- EVER say you are alone. Make sure that you don't have a purse/wallet in view. He says if people are 'who they say, they are' they will welcome the police or any other help....

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Husband and I have a policy, if someone ask us for money and we can afford to give it to them we do. We never lend money.

And we are wise to the fool who lets us know by his/her actions that they have no intentions of ever getting their lives in order. :)

I also have a policy that if I'm home alone to have something to protect myself with prior to answering the door, and if someone comes to the door looking for my husband I tell them he is sleeping or otherwise not able to come to the door. If they were to make me feel like they were not going to take no for an answer I would tell them to hold on while I when to wake him or let him know he was wanted at the door. Hopefully giving me enough time to call 911 :)

Hugs
marlene

·
AFKA ZealYouthGuy
11,454 Posts
I don't know the situation, but I would say that I think the guy who knocked was trying to be polite and not to solicit the woman of the house for money for fear of intimidating her.

I'll never forget one night I broke down, (before cell phones) knocked on the door to the house and scared the living daylights out of the lady. She had ever door locked and was talking to me through the window. I was a teenager and in big trouble if my parents didn't know I was broke down. She ended up calling my parents for me, but would never look out the window at me again.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Hey, I think that same guy was at our house last year! :flame: Only the guy that rang our doorbell at 10 pm said he was a neighbor who lived down the road, and needed $30 for the tow truck. He told a long and somewhat convincing story--he got some of the names and info of the neighbors right (my wife is Michelle, we have those two kids you see out here sometimes, we have that black SUV, we've been doing some work on our house, etc.). We thought he was lying, but then again, we weren't 100% sure, and we wouldn't want to turn down a neighbor in need.

Well, of course he wasn't a neighbor, and he didn't pay it back. He had been going around to all the houses in the neighborhood with a different story about who he was (I'm renting out the 3rd floor of so and so's house, or I'm so and so's son, or whatever). He knew us better than we knew each other. That's when we started having block parties, to really get to know each other.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
You know.. all these stories..

Makes me think that it would be a worthwhile thing to go up the road around 8 pm or so and close and lock our gate that is at the top of our driveway on the road. Then walk back up and unlock it in the morning sometime before lunch.

Geesh..

Of course, I do tend to err on the cautious side. I remember the first time I moved out of the city. My husband at the time was a police officer and worked the graveyard shift.

Me- out in the country for the first time, three kids under six (one is only a year old). No streetlights, can't see a thing. I was spooky enough that I would stay up until two or three a.m. every night because I couldn't relax and go to sleep... LOL!

One winter night, shortly after my husband left for work, I get a knock on the door (we'd been there maybe a month.) I was somewhat anxious about that.. remember I had just moved from an area near south Dallas and NEVER opened my door to anyone I didn't know. Front doors stayed locked etc, and so they did in the country as well.

I finally got up the courage to open the door a crack, and it was the fellow who lived next door. He thrust a white object toward me.. and said "We just had a pig butchered, thought you might like some bacon." :angel:

LOL! Well, I did manage to loosen up a bit afterwards... ;)

My ex used to say I was all wound up for nothing because there were far fewer criminals in the country, just because the population was that much lower. I always retorted "True! And there are far fewer victims to choose from, just because the population is lower..."

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well dh is supposed to be home but ya know how that goes......at any rate my gun will be beside the door where it can be seen. I'm not one to run scared of anything or anybody. Just not in my nature I guess. Doesn't mean I'm not cautious....just not scared of much. We hear something at night and I'm usually the first one up to see what it is. Dh was on the road one time and the girls came running in my room late one night saying something or someone was in the yard....they thought they saw a shadow. So I grabbed the gun and took a scroll around. If there was anyone out there they decided to leave. I am starting to look for a real watch dog though...nothing like a big barking dog to deter people.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I don't go to my door after dark.Everyone that knows us knows to call first.I had two young men who said they were Mormons come one night at nine.I thought that was strange and wouldn't let them in.I just wouldn't go to the door.Hope you get your money back.

"True! And there are far fewer victims to choose from, just because the population is lower..."
:D Never thought of it that way.It's true.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Where in the world do you live? The last time I needed a tow truck it was a whopping $90 to pull my car 1.5 miles to the next repair place :eek:)...

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
We had one of those a few weeks ago - just after we'd gone to bed. He said he needed $20 to pay the tow truck driver because his girlfriend had slid into the ditch, and that he was from the tire place on the main road. I told him, truthfully, that I had no cash.

I mentioned him to my neighbours around the corner and they figured he might be one of the sons, that has been known to do drugs.

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
We had one of those a few weeks ago - just after we'd gone to bed. He said he needed $20 to pay the tow truck driver because his girlfriend had slid into the ditch, and that he was from the tire place on the main road. I told him, truthfully, that I had no cash.

I mentioned him to my neighbours around the corner and they figured he might be one of the sons, that has been known to do drugs.

Weird thing is, there's houses on either side of us that are a lot closer to the road - maybe that's why he chose us. :shrug: And I never saw any signs of a car going into the ditch anywhere on our road - no tracks in the snow.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I would never dream of opening a door to someone unknown at night. I *might* call out through the door to find out who it was, etc.

A while back, my very elderly grandmother and uncle who lives with her had some nut case come knocking on the door in the middle of the night, needing money for a prescription. Yeah, right. He was apparently pretty persistant, needed his fix, and my uncle called the police. This guy had been working the neighborhood.

Y'all, these kinds of people have a system of working an area. They know who is home, who isn't, what time they leave in the morning and get home in the evening, how many live there, who is related and where those relatives live, etc. They know who to watch. Please, be very careful. $12 for a tow truck sounds like a lie to me. Tows are way more expensive than that, usually a minimum of $50 or 60.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I don't answer the door at all, unless i know the person.. When my daughter was a newborn I had this guy come up to the door, his face was bloody from scratches or something, it scared me alot.. I said can i help you? he said i sure hope you can and he was slurring his words I figured he was drunk, it scared me i know it wasn't nice but i shut the door on him.. I was more worried about me and my kids welfare.. I called the police and they said they had alot of complaints about this guy.. so i wasnt the only one..
another time i had a "kirby" vaccum guy trying to show demos.. he said heres a free roll or paper towels me and my buddy whos in the car want to come in and demostrate how this works, I said NO i didn't want them in my house it seemed strange, he said then give me back my paper towels.. hmmm HOW rude!! Soo i never answer anymore.. I'm thinking of putting a sign on the door that says no solisitating.. < i know thats spelled wrong> :rolleyes: but you get the idea :) I wonder if those signs really work?

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
HeavenHelpMe said:
$12 for crack?

I didn't know they made a discount brand! LOL :p
It's cheap, that's one of the appeals.

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
A bit of a thread drift here.

A couple of weeks ago, Roger came home from the dump and said that the JW were coming down the road and asked what he should do.

I told him to strip naked and answer the door. I guarenteed him that they wouldn't come back again.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts