Snuffly Jersey Woolie

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Wildfire_Jewel, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Wildfire_Jewel

Wildfire_Jewel Well-Known Member Supporter

We have never had a case of Snuffles in our rabbits so I am not sure that is what I am seeing or not. This is an approx. 6 month old doe. I have started calling her "snort" because she makes noise when she breathes. It is not a normal vocalization that an aggressive doe makes but like she has a stuffy nose. THere is sometimes a small amount of clear discharge but it will go away then the next day. Neither of the other 2 does near her are exhibiting these symptoms. Does "Snuffles" act like this? The books make it sound much more severe than this appears. She also has a more Netherland face than the others (squared off and squashed looking but not deformed) and I was wondering if maybe this could be causing sinus troubles? I HATE to give an antibiotic without knowing if it will do any good but I also hate the $30 vet bill just to walk in the door with her. She is housed in our dry basement and fed Purina show pellets and grass hay (bagged type from pet store as we are out of bales)
    Thanks for any input.
    Melissa

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Melissa, i have never seen snuffles, so I cannot tell you if that is what you are facing with this rabbit. What I DO suggest is to play it safe and isolate her from any other rabbits. You could certainly add apple cider vinegar to her drinking water - 1-2 tablespoons per gallon. If you have a willow tree, try giving her a few twigs to nibble. Willow bark is medicinal and acts much like aspirin. I routinely feed my rabbits a bit of willow, so I am confident it is safe.

Has she always lived in the basement? Has anything changed in her environment lately? Does she seem ill or sluggish, or is she normally alert and active?

It could simply be that she has an allergy or that the warm dry air is irritating her nasal passages. Or she could be sick. I know what you mean by the high cost of vet bills without being sure the visit will be of any benefit. Personally, I would adopt a "watch and see" policy for her -- but if the rabbit is a loved pet or is particularly valuable, you might be better to play it safe.

3. Wildfire_Jewel

Wildfire_Jewel Well-Known Member Supporter

Nope..not a beloved pet but I do want to do right by her. I got them in Nov. for spinning purposes. She is a port but she is very orange colored which I really like..will make an interesting thread when spun I am sure. She is not acting sick at all....very curious and always at the door for attention. She was actually living in the same cage with one of the other does near her before I bought her and that doe shows none of the same symptoms. I am just gonna keep a very close eye on her so it doesn't get out of hand.
    THanks
    Melissa

4. orphy

orphy Well-Known Member

Sounds to me more like an allergy. If the drainage is clear it is not snuffles. My rabbits have some allergies and they can get worse in the spring. I have one that I have to bring in in the summer. He sneezes so bad that his nose gets bloody. They are both allergic to the cottonwoods that grow in the yard. I started this allergy by feeding them the shoots from the trees in spring one year both of them got bad and I too thought they had snuffles. But as long as the liquid is clear my vet said that it was definately not snuffles.