Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m just getting started with rabbits and I have a small Rex breeding group. I’m getting ready to breed for the first time, but have concerns about one of my does and want to make sure everything is ok before including her in this breeding cycle.

I brought this doe home in June and would say she’s probably been exhibiting some of these symptoms since we got her, though not always to the same degree. I’m a newbie and still learning about rabbit conditions to be weary of, so I wasn’t on my guard when first bringing her home. She was kind of a loud breather, “wuffeling” would be how I’d describe it even if that isn’t a real word. She’s had bouts of sneezing with clear discharge from her nose, maybe leaning towards opaque/whitish at times. I’ve started putting drops of essential oils in her water and since then her breath is quite, she hasn’t been sneezing, and clear discharge is minimal.

I’ve noticed recently she seems to have lost weight, but her appetite seems normal. She was BIG when we brought her home, significantly larger than our others. Perhaps she wasn’t fed properly previously and is now slimming down? Or could this be a sign of deterioration? I’d also say her cage has more fur shedding than any of the others, not sure if this could be important.

This is extremely long, but I want to be very diligent about not spreading contagion to the other rabbits, or even to our chickens (her hutch is in the chicken barn).

Opinions and advice?? Is this a situation I need to cull?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Depends on what you are willing to give up. It may be cheaper to just cull. You can pay a rabbit vet to prescribe medication. i've had rabbits die from respiratory problems and others that recovered on their own. If I paid $100 for a rabbit I might take it to the vet but not a $10 rabbit.

If you can feel her spine bones she's probably losing weight. Shedding may be just molting.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts