Snuffle rabbit was delicious....awwww

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by poultryprincess, Dec 19, 2003.

1. poultryprincess

poultryprincess Well-Known Member

Well, after reading & discussing about the breeding quality of a few does with snuffles....I decided to take them to "camp". DH is a sensitive sort who wanted nothing to do with my taking them. I booked "camp" & woke @ 5;30 am to make the 1 hour trip to the "big house". I must admit to a big pang of the guilty's when I was loading them....but it was too late to turn back. I spent the day @ a friends house quilting (she lives 10 minutes from the "house") & picked them up @ 4 pm. They rested a day in the fridge, & 2 went into the freezer. The other I cooked up in a suicide spicy shake 'n bake in the oven.....sooooo good. DH was able to eat a few pieces, but he wants to wait a bit til he tries it again. My son & I pigged out for 2 days on the rabbit, we must be savages. The does weighed in @ 3.62 / 3.82 / 4.18 lbs. I don;t know if that is a good weight or not, but it was darn tasty! I just Had to tell someone, who wouldn't get all grossed out about us eating Bugs Bunny!!! :haha:

2. Upham

Upham Well-Known Member

Princess I'm going to start raising them myself this spring. What kind of rabbits were they?
    Up

3. poultryprincess

My buck is a "Californian" as was one of the females, another does was a "New Zealand" & the other doe was multi-colored. My plan was to breed them, but I waited too long to get set up. ( I have a small menagerie of Newbie birds) I have heard from some that winter breeding was good, others say it's a no no. When someone posted about Snuffles, that's when I decided to sent the gals to camp. The buck is healthy, plus he is company for the Silkies. DH said he won't eat Mr.Bigilsworth no matter How hungry he gets......did I mention DH is "sensitive"! Good luck with your bunnies. ( they Really were Delicious) :no:

4. Robin Pundzak

Robin Pundzak Active Member

Was that dressed or live weight? How old were they to still be tender for the "Shake 'n Bake"?
    Robin

5. poultryprincess

The weight is "dressed", but I cannot tell you the exact age. The doe was purchased @ the flea market in the summer...they could not tell me the age, but she was the size of 2 rolls of toliet paper (sorry, that's the only thing I could think of ) The other 2 does were born in late Aug. making them about 3 1/2 months old.I don't know how old they are supposed to be, but this was a tender rabbit. Good luck!