Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I love South Dakota
5,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this pattern posted on QB - and really liked it.

I have a coworker that loves snowmen, so this is going to her. I've got to run up town this afternoon to get red tassels for the hats. Forgot to get that when I picked up the sparkly thread for quilting the "snow"

here is where I got the free pattern - I made mine smaller so it could be hung over a door.

http://quiltinspiration.blogspot.com/2012/12/free-pattern-day-snowmen.html

·
Registered
419 Posts
Very nice.

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
I really like that, and I'm not particularly a snowman fan. You did an excellent job in piecing and quilting.

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Double post

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
And where do you work? Are they hiring? :D

Reactions: Belfrybat

·
I love South Dakota
5,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL! Flowergurl - I'm learning how to quilt with my longarm machine, and have been giving away a lot of my projects. I bought out a large fabric stash at an estate sale for what worked out to be about 40cents a yard - and I got a lot . . . so I'm able to do this very affordably. My long term plan is to get good enough for this to be an income source when I retire - so I've got a bit over 10 years to get good.

Molly - I did most of the quilting on my Bailey 15" on a Gracie frame. I've had my machine a bit over a year now, and still have a lot to learn! But I sure do love doing it.

I took this picture while working on that quilt.

This is a better picture of the machine and frame. DH built me a nice overhead light that spans the entire length. That is what the upright board on the end is for. BTW - we're post kids, so this is set up in what use to be the formal dining room.

After I got everything quilted with the blue thread, I took it off the frame and used my 15-91 to FMQ the second round of the feathers and the swirls in the snowmen. I used a sparkly thread, and figured it would be easier that way. Had enough problems with that flimsy thread feeding as it was. My husband made me a neat spool holder (at the back of the machine) to help.

The nice part is the Bailey and the 15-91 take the same size bobbins, so I can wind them using the Singer, and that works way nicer than the winder on the Bailey.

·
I love South Dakota
5,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The pros of the Bailey
1. Low Price
2. Mechanical (no computer anything to mess up) which also means easy to maintain

the cons
1. not much height, not a big issue though
2. Slow - only about 900 stitches per minute.
3. only 15" HOWEVER they do make a 17" and now a 21"

For me, the "slow" isn't a real big problem as I need to go very slow or I mess up anyway. I have a stitch regulator, but have to be careful that I don't try to move the machine faster than it can sew - then one gets very long stitches and tension problems

I didn't know how much I'd like doing this, so spending $3,000 to see if I liked it wasn't too hard to swallow. I like it enough I'm considering getting the 21" machine, as having a longer reach would make up for the slower machine.

My husband keeps asking me if I want to upgrade to something both larger and faster, but those type are computerized to some level, AND they are so, so much more expensive. If I do get the larger Bailey, I'm going to put it on the frame and put the 15" on a table for FMQ.

I can't justify spending $12,000 for a machine and table unless I'm going to be making money from it.

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
REally like this thread and the quilt is really nice. I like the touch of sparkle you put in it.

And you should be really really good by retirement.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Very nice quilt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts