Snowbound in the desert!!

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by caryatid, Dec 29, 2006.

1. caryatid

caryatid Well-Known Member

Oh, I just love this! We live in the desert prarie of New Mexico and we have SNOW! Right now, we have about 18 inches, and it is still coming down! It isn't supposed to stop until Sat night. :) The interstate is shut down, and we can't go anywhere even if we wanted to.

My boys and I had fun plowing our way out to the barn to feed this morning. We giggled the whole time. I'm sooo glad I bought that water tank heater- no more chopping ice! My sheep was wearing a hat of snow, oblivious. My pygmy goat woulnd't come out of the barn.

We are nice and isolated from the world. *sigh* Our cupboards are pretty well stocked, as well as our freezer. The only worry is the propane was supposed to be delivered today, and our tank is low. EEK! But I've been baking in my counter top electric roaster (learning how, trial by fire).

As long as my 25 lb bag of flour holds out- Let it SNOW! :sing:

2. tamsam

tamsam Well-Known Member

I hope you have another heat source than propane. If not maybe you have at least a portable tank for grill or something. We use a 100 il tank for our back up heater but we also have a 20 ib just incase the 100 runs out in the middle of the night or bad weather when we can't get out. We mostly heat with wood and coal. In case of power outage we also have a rv with everything in it and use the gen in it for lights and stuff in the house. Good luck and enjoy the snow. We love to see and watch it too. Sam

3. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, I'm jealous! I haven't been snowed in for quite a while. Enjoy the snow and the family time. :)

4. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

My hubby and I took a drive from our home in the Jemez mts to Los Alamos for a lark. Since we grew up near Duluth, MN, this kind of weather is like...um...the third of July. Well, almost!

Where in NM are you (if I may ask?) anywhere near me? I have two uprigth freezers full of food, plus a large pantry, etc. and so on. Ain't the snow lovely?

Pat

5. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Hope my dads getting some out his way in Rodeo NM. He's still a big kid at heart and loves snow days.

Sounds like ya got enough already. So send it own my way before it runs out. :D

6. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

Maybe you can take some pics to drag out on a hot day :)
    motivated

7. titansrunfarm

titansrunfarm The Awesome PT & Friends

Snow? What's that? It was in the sixties here today!

8. patnewmex

We took oodles of pics and I'd post some here but I'm not allowed attachments. It reminds me soooo much of living in Northern MN, WISC (where I was born, 49 years and 1 day ago!)

trees so heavy with snow that they bend and curl under. Lovely stuff....and brings back memories.

Pat

9. caryatid

Nope, that's why I'm cooking with my electric toys and we are kind of rationing hot water. We were in the process of installing a woodburning stove this summer, but we had such high winds we had to postpone it. You'd better believe that will be my top priority this spring! We have 10% left in the tank, which, while low, should keep us well for a while. We do have another smaller tank that we can hook up if the big tank gets dangerously low- but that will also only be used for heat.

So, while we aren't worried about running out, we aren't going hog wild either! :)

10. caryatid

I'm originally from Indiana, so this feels like home to me too!

We are in Edgewood, which is right across the Sandia's from ABQ. When we lived in ABQ my hubby used to work at LANL. That was one heck of a commute!!

11. patnewmex

I know some folks in that area! Small world ain't it?

Pat

12. caryatid

We are definately enjoying the family time. Since the highway is closed, hubby couldn't go to work. We all got the rare treat of Daddy home on a Friday!

The kids had fun as we experimented with baking in the roaster oven, and just all kind of had a lazy day. (Well..they did. I puttered around the house working on some neglected projects).

13. caryatid

LOL Yup! Some friends of mine just moved up your way too!

Feel free to PM me. :)

14. bare

bare Head Muderator

Wow, two hours of snow! How lucky you folks are!

::bare, grumbling because he tore up his transmission trying to get out of his snowy driveway, and snow ain't a rare occurance here::

15. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

This is a nasty wet heavy snow we've got now. And now it's frozen solid. I like the powder better.

16. bare

bare Head Muderator

True story, nothing out of the ordinary. Just makes you wish for being snowed in in the desert.

17. caryatid

LOL May I give you a sympathetic hug? I feel your pain- I really do! I've missed the heavy, wet snow that I used to get "back home"...until I remember the pain of trying to drive in it!

I will say that where I am, this is normal too. We can expect to be snowed in a lot, especially in Jan and Feb. We can expect snow from Halloween until Easter. Luckily, this time we have the deep, fluffy dry snow. I can brush it off the porch with a stiff broom- but it gets packed on the roads turning them into ice.

Dh just checked the news- I-40 is closed from TX to AZ!

18. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

We are now measuring it in feet, not inches, up here in Trinidad. Last I heard our roads are open up into the mountains and up to Pueblo, but not south or east. The drift is now about a third of the way up the living room picture window. Still getting about an inch an hour, and supposed to snow til tomorrow morning. Expecting wind to pick up again this afternoon. We have a gas stove, power is still on, and water still running. Fortunately we also have a LOT of wood and put in wood heat this last summer. Guess we are finally getting a winter!

19. caryatid

Wow! How many feet do you have now? We are now up to 2 feet, and it is still coming. Slow and steady, but that' is how it has been for 3 days now.

Do you guys normally get this much snow? Was your winter last year as dry as ours? We didn't have any snow days last year, but school was closed for a few days due to mud! We would get a little snow, and then it would melt the next morning, making the roads impassable. Heck, this spring we were rained in! We have an arrorro between us and the main road. It was so flooded it collapsed the road! (And they call this a desert??)

1/3 of the way up your windows?? Wow! I think that would freak me out a bit. I haven't been in snow that deep since I was a kid (in IN). My brother and I made tunnels all through the yard. :) RIght now the snow is level with about our 4th porch step. No chance of going out the front door at all. Our neighbor has a 4wheel drive, so we might call him to take DH to the store. Our food is well stocked, but suddenly all 3 of 4 kids are sick. *sigh* I never knew how fast tylenol could dissappear.

20. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

ya post them at photobucket.com then put the link here and they pop right up!