Snow thoughts..little story

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Raindancer, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Raindancer

Raindancer Well-Known Member

DH and I took our southern selves north to NY state to visit my folks a few wk's. ago. To my delight, it snowed! Just a few inches, but more than I've seen in a good while! Built my first, very feeble, snowman since nearly 18 y'rs or so. Was only knee high, as snow had crusted over with ice, not good for packing or rolling, and the building of him finally got the best of me, but hey..I made the first and probably last snowman I''ll get to do in a long while, and what fun! I was a kid again:)

While looking for pebbles for the snowman's face among the pines and partially landscaped pine bark mulched areas, I thought I found some pebbles of appropriate size. Scooped some up in my gloved hands, (minus my glasses), toted them to snowman, and then getting glasses from coat pocket and placing on my face, found them to be deer poop! Did I feel like a ditze, but had to laugh and thought, you've been too far from home, or getting to old to know any better!

My folks live in suburbia, but on a beautiful piece of property that backs onto a protected colonial restoration wooded area, and deer abound. Buck, does and fawns wander freely (and down the quiet streets!) through their yard but a few yards away from the house..so beautiful, tho, sadly, a menace. But I stayed on deer watch (still a thrill!) out their bay window that night in hopes of spotting some, as the snow started falling again. Of course not one was to be seen that eve, to my dismay, but, of course, many tracks were in the yard the next morning!

As for my feable snowman, in talking with Mon tonight, one small little snowball is *still* left of my snowman after 3 wk's time..and now, after the major storm, is covered with a heavy, fresh snow. All that's missing is me.

My best to all who are digging out and trudging thru right now. I remember those difficult, snow laden times, which I've been years removed from but which still hold special memories. You know of what I speak! Invoke the child within, and embrace some of him for me;)

Dee

2. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Wow! A new use for goat & deer berries! Cool.

Ruth

3. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

Well, Raindancer

There is so much snow 38" and drifts upto 6 feet. We share a 200' drive withour neighbors and our houses are next to each other. It was so funny yesterday as i looked at their back yard - the snow was beautiful = untouched (their kids are grown). We had fun in my yard and all you can see are "secret" pathways and forts all around the entire yard. It was fun to make them and see the kids so excited and laughing. Today will be a snowball fight - i better start building my "fort" soon!

4. Turkeyfether

Turkeyfether Well-Known Member

One of my earliest memories involved a snowman.I was about 3 & a friend of ours,Del Clark,made me a snowman in our yard.For the next several yrs of my life,EVERY time I saw him,I'd ask"Del Clark,when are you going to build me another snowman?".It didn't matter if it was summer,I'd still ask.I have never tired of snow.I don't mind driving to work in it.I drive over mountainous terrain now to get to work,but that's OK because the surrounding farm countryside is breathtakingly beautiful!