Snow removal

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by PyroDon, Dec 10, 2006.

1. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

we had quite a bit of snow here a while back.
    I soon discovered that the blade on the tractor was fine for short runs but we had 12" and a half mile of drive to clear. Being somewhat alergic to the cold I found a little quicker was to make the drive passable .
    I tend to save a lot of "junk" and had collected a few tongues off of doublewide trailors from a friend who sells trailors. These are basicly a 12-14ft 10" high I beam. since I had already slit them I had to do some quick welding to make the A shaped drag (which I am modifying to mount on the tractors loader for future use) While it didnt remove all the snow it did get it down to an inch or so that could be driven out of easily.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

do you get snow regularily? If you dont push those ridges back out of the way, and the weather gets below, and stays below freezing those ridges will turn to concrete, and you will have a terrible time mooving them.

3. PyroDon

Snow here seldom lasts more than a week it was 6 thyursday and 60 sunday .
    I figure I can pull this backwards to fill pot holes as well .

4. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Quick thinking and a clever use of salvage resources. Might work well as a land leveler to fill in low spots and knock down hummocks and ridges when preparing a seedbed for planting. Or as a pasture drag to spread cowpies, scrape off anthills & such.
    Should be adequate for the occassional snow you get down there :)

5. PyroDon

If you check with trailor dealers you can often get the tongues they remove from doublewides for scrap iron price . They are handy for all kinds of things .
    we are in the process of building a drive on rack for working on cars . A brush blade for the tractor,Ive also made a trailor and small wood stove for the shop out of them .