snow plowing

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bill not in oh, Dec 8, 2005.

1. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

OK I've done some digging around and can't get a good answer to my question which is....

What are the pros and cons of electric -vs- hydraulic snow blades for pickups?

And any experience using utility vehicles for plowing snow?

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I don't know if I'll be of much help, but I've never heard of an all electric snow plow. Most plows that I'm familiar with have an electric hydrauic pump that operates the hydraulic rams on the plow.

My recommendation about using a plow on an SUV is simple. For best results and longevity, only use a snowplow on a SUV that has a truck frame (ie, Suburban, Tahoe, Jeep, Expedition, etc.)

3. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Some of the "HEAVY DUTY" plows ran off of hydraulic pumps mounted on the engine almost like an alternator is mounted. I am assuming that's what you are referring to Bill?

Almost everyone uses the electic motor/hydraulic that CF is talking about. They are fairly reliable and easy to hook up.

sigh, I am working on my plow today and have to put new quick couplers on my power angle's because I am having left/right problems.

Bill ANY snow plow questions you have can be answered by very experienced folks at www.plowsite.com

4. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

ZYG, are you sure it's the quick couplers? Are they leaking or plugged? I had left/right problems on my old Western pump. Just a few turns of an adjustment nut on the control cable to the 4-way valve and I had it working again.

5. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Pretty sure, I have used this plow with two different pumps and had the same problem...

The one coupler does seem to be leaking a bit and this discussion is my exact problem... so I think so.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=29571