Snow Fence

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Nov 6, 2004.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Ok, guys & gals,

I need some help, I can get over 300 feet of wooden snow fence for free in 50 foot rolls. Give me a list of things you can do with it.

The obvious is to use it for snow fence, so skip that one ok? ;) :haha:

2. CoonXpress

CoonXpress Well-Known Member

Dumb question, I live where 6" of snow for the winter is a lot, what is a snow fence?

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

The most I ever seen the wooden picket fence used for other than snow fence which is placed several feet away from a road to cause the snow to drift near the fence, and not in the road, was to build round ear corn cribs. They will make a good fence for farm poultry and animals.

4. TXlightningbug

TXlightningbug Well-Known Member

Hi, Bob,
    Build the framework for a pole barn. Instead of putting sides or a roof on it, you string the wooden snow fence across the top side by side. This creates a shade house for putting your plant starts in to acclimate before you plant them.

This is used by plant nurseries all the time as a transition stage from starting seeds inside while there is still frosty mornings. This gives the starter plants a chance to get used to the weather temps. before going into the ground.

TXlightningbug :yeeha:

5. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Find some crafters and sell it to them! Since we get little snow here in Texas, I have seen over the years, usually in 'antique/collectible' malls/stores; some decorating done with snow fence. The older and more beat up looking the better.

Some take artificial vines/flowers and string it along the fence and others have intertwined old dried grape vine and flowers, and also little whilte Christmas lights as well. I've seen it hung from ceilings, used as a room divider, and even as 'wainscoating'.

Hope that helps. You could probably get a pretty good bit reselling it in 'sections' for the crafters/decorators to use.

6. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

i have used them to make tater an apple bends out of. i use straw in them to help keep the apples from frezzing but the snow fence also allowes the fruit to breath so they don't rot

7. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Put over a patio to partially block the sun.

mikell

8. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

Develop an imagination.

9. seedspreader

Or develop some community and realize that there are some VERY smart people on this forum who may have some good uses! :)

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, keep em coming. I found out it is actually about 500 feet of fence, I am thinking of a garden barrer with chicken wire around the bottom. Lots of coons around here, and although it wouldn't stop them it may discourage them.

10. kath2003

kath2003 Well-Known Member

We just used a ton of it to cover our turkey pen.It rolls out real nice and can hold up a tarp for wind and rain and snow.Sure wish I had all that fence :eek:

11. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I know I know---you could bring it to me in Montana and maybe I could keep my road open till Christmas! LOL just kidding, but if there is snow fence where you live perhaps you have snow? could you use it for its intended purpose of breaking down drifts on part of your place that gets really driffted. Like by my green house entrance we generally get an 8 foot drift that takes till june to melt down enough for me to dig down to the door!

12. seedspreader

Oh, we get ALOT of snow here in NE Ohio. Last year was around 120" or so, (Gotta love lake effect) but where I am at right now just has natural windbreaks so I am not experiencing too much drifting, plus I have a plow that I just blow em out of the way with!