Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,441 Posts
I don't have any answers for you, but am interested in what others may have to say.

NeHi

·
Nubian dairy goat breeder
4,465 Posts
vit A deficiancy gets snotty nose. dusty hay/barn, ammonia built up,
oly to give you an idea. then of course pneumonia and upper respiratory infection.
did you take their temperature?

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
What color is the snot? Clear or white you can put either some VetRx in the nostrils, or even Vicks. Peppermint oil (just a small dab) should help.
If the snot is green, or so I heard, you may have something more serious than just a passing allergy or dust. And I dont mean the occasional a little white snot that gets green because of hay.
If she has a temp you might have to go with something stronger.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
They are goats. Goats get snotty noses. We sneeze, get runny noses, our immune system kicks in without doing much, in fact most things you do, do nothing more than relieve symptoms. So do the same thing, if it bothers you that they have a runny nose than use benedryl, people doses orally work great. They make horse antihistimes also you can use. Or simply wipe their nose, clean the barn and watch them.

Nubians have more problems with this type of thing because of the way their noses are made, like LaManchas and ear problems if you don't keep their ears clean.

Unless they are having trouble breathing (not nose but chest) or run a fever, snotty noses are just nusianes. Bolster immunity with bo-se, makes sure their sleeping areas are free of ammonia build up. Kneel down in the pen to their heigth, do you smell amounia? Add more bedding or clean out the wet bedding. Are your knees wet? Add more bedding. Winter is about air quality, make sure they have access to clean air, you should have to wear a jacket in your barn (in the goat area), if you are warm in your barn or your have condensation that rusts tools, your barn is too tight and you are actually promoting pnemonia. Make sure all lime and things like this are well raked into the soil, as they dig into the warm bedding, especially when kidding, you do not want them to dig down into lime that can burn teats and vulvas but also can cause chemical pnemonia when inhaled. DE can cause the same type of irritation in the lungs, when used in the bedding or in grain. vicki

·
Premium Member
6,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my goats dont live in a barn, they have a calf hut out on an open field, and they are rotated regularly, so stagnant ground or bedding isnt an issue.

2 have this, but the others dont. there breathing sounds ok. the snot is white I guess.

what would cure vitamin a deficiency?

they get great hay, and free choice mineral, and clean water 2 or 3 times a day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts