snotty nose & weight loss

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mpillow, Oct 20, 2004.

1. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Nubian doe has green goopy nose, first sign of ill was scours 4 weeks ago...kaopectate fixed this...wormed whole herd with hoegger herbal and on maintenance...

She is grinding her teeth and eats only sporadically then rests. I have baking soda and loose mineral available, good hay, fresh water 2x daily. Fed her yogurt and oatmeal and vitamins...she wont eat much and has lost alot of weight. She is still participating within herd but her nose is nasty and the teeth grinding is awful...no other goat is ill. Is it botfly? thinking its too cold in Maine for that but?? Or does she need some penicillin? :(

2. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

Hi, I have experienced the same thing, I dont believe that is would be the bot fly...(unless you have seen signs of them looking like they are rubbing their nose and seem agrivated with the nose area) I to was using the hoegger herbal wormer and after quite a while, i have found worms in my goats...
    I started with penicillian and it doesn't help, i tried vet RX, that didn't help, and i tried stronger anitbotics, and that didn't help so that was when i figure out the worms. We have lung worms. I have given wormer and then again in 2 weeks. It seems to be working. the goats seem to feel better. I would do a bit of research on it but i would bet that your goats have some type or types of worms. We have since decided to not waste our money on the herbal wormer. We had been using it for 1 1/2 years with what we thought was good results but then this. We decided that if we have to worm them with a "regular" wormer, then why bother with the cost and time of the hearbal. I hope your goats get better.

Belinda

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Is she runing a temp? The grinding of the teeth is from pain. Is she chewing her cud? A doe who is not eating much likely has some rumen problems going on.

Keopectate is fine for stopping diarrhea, but you didn't fix the problem. My stance on herbal wormers is pretty well known, I think the goats suffer from worming like this without fecal sampling.

I would take some poop into the vet and find out what is going on with this doe. Are her gums nice red like the other goats in the pens? If they are light pink or grey she is likely anemic, lethargic goats don't eat well, don't run around and die.

Herbal wormers are fine when you have a tiny herd, deep winter freezes and you have your worms under control, using the herbal wormer for keeping a small problem at bay...but watch for stress. Kidding, moving, bringing in a new goat, a dog attack, a drastic change of feed, all these things will activate perviously small worm burdens, arrested larve which can not be seen in fecal activate into huge populations, start sucking the blood and you have diarrhea (which is blood being passed in the feces), bottle jaw or a dead goat, when it's simply just worms.

All these sypmtoms without a temp than it's worms, and likely now some cocci also, why her stomach hurts so much. With a temp than she is coming down with penmonia, which if you don't clear her up now, she will come down with it. The worms don't kill the goat, they get dehydrated from diarrhea, they die of anemia, or secondary infection, pnemonia.

Get some probios, give 5 grams several times a day and boost that rumen back up. Get a fecal and worm the goat. Put her on Albon or another sulfa, for cocci and bacterial pnemonia. TLC if she is anemic. Vicki

4. mpillow

She is not chewing her cud, she is very pale inside mouth.

I went to local Agway and got Safe-guard paste 10% and gave her the dose for 250lb ...she only weighs about 60lb now
    They didnt have probios but I did get a horse product by Ascend that was an electrolyte,amino acid gel. They didnt have the albon-sulfa med but I am going to check around with other feed places....
    In a pinch could I use the new over the counter pink-eye treatment for humans its a sulfer based antiobiotic but I wonder if goats could do it orally? Just a thought...I think its a gel formulation.

She is not real active today... still taking nibbles...she ate a cereal bar when I brought her in the house this morning.

Lets hope she makes it...she is from good lines 100% Nubian and was going to be bred next month for the first time....we will definately breed her later than the others.

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

The pale mouth is from anemia, the worms and now likely cocci have consumed alot of her blood, worming now with Safeguard, if this works in your area, it doesn't in mine, will help with the worms, two more doses 10 days apart, and you can't really give too much (5 times the dosage is fine).

Sulfur is not a sulfa. Most larger feed stores, coops, mills, and all livestock catalogs carry Albon, Dimethox, Corid (not a sulfa but works for cocci), Sulmet, they sell these in Liquid, powder and boluses for calves. Get one and we will help you with the dosage, it's the same as you use for cows, at Treatment levels, not prevention.

Keep her warm, it is going to take alot of nursing to get her through this.

Blood builders will help, iron from the vet, Red Cell or any of the blood building tonics work well, it's everyday for weeks though. Highly unlikely she will be in good enough shape to breed next month.

B complex shots daily until she is chewing cud, perhaps you know someone who could help you transplant a cud from another doe? A goat who is not cudding will not survive long.

If she isn't up and on her feet soon, it's time for the vet, writing down everything you did. If you have a wether at your disposal you can also do a transfusion. Cud can be purchased at most teaching univiersites, they keep cows with rumen plugs so they can harvest live cud.

This is an emergency for the doe. Once her temp falls below 100 she will die, and right now her rumen is not working, which works like a furnace to keep her warm. Vicki

6. mpillow

Well I am amazed....

I gave her electrolyte and molasses water with a turkey baster nice and warm. Offered her food and wouldnt eat. I had to go do the bus run and prepared myself for the worst. She picked her head right up and gave me a small sound when I returned so I offered her some treats...she licked the salt off of potato chips, ate 16 cherry tomatoes and now munching on hay.

I do have some extra young bucks kicking around...please explain how I might do this cud transplant thing...she does cud up her throat but immediatly swallows no actual chewing....

We are calling around still to find stuff....

Thanks for your help... I found pbsanimalhealth supply store online and plan to order some stuff to keep onhand instead of looking all over creation again.

7. mpillow

I did the cud transplant from her sister this morning. Found this info to go by

http://www.finnsheep.org/39ahatto.htm

not hard to do but VERY SMELLY! My 10yo son helped! Our science lesson for the day...transplanting beneficial bacteria!

Time will tell....still feeding electrolyte/molasses with turkey baster...