Snotty nose kid

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Rob30, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought a young boer doeling at the auction a week and a half ago. After the 5 hrs in the back of the truck to get home, she was pretty stressed. I have wormed her, gave her selenium and vit e, CDT vaccine and some pen G. I also gave some medicated feed, but she didn't eat much. She has picked at the hay. She had dark scours and a snotty nose, as well extremely scared of her own shaddow.
    The scours has cleared up, I have been giving her electrolytes in her water. She is not as scared, but still wants nothing to do with us. But her nose is getting worse. I don't want to give any more pen G, because it doesn't help a cold, and it will spoil her stomach.
    Any suggestions an what I could give her.

2. seanmn

seanmn Well-Known Member

I'd try some probiotics to get the flora in the gut working again....my friend use's a intranasel vaccine in the nose for snotty nose lambs...

3. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

There are several drugs you can get from the Vet that are great for respitory problems I would suggest calling the Vet. I would also be treating her for cocci . Vit b injection would not hurt , probios and I like Red Cell.

Patty

4. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

I almost forgot unless you are going to follow thru with a 5-10 round of pen do not bother with the 1 shot. It is unfair to the animal and a waste of money . By giving 1 shot all you do is make the problem harder to treat and make antibiotic resistant bugs.

Patty

5. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Any time you buy a goat at an auction, you run the risk of buying someone else's problem. First of all, I'd take the kid's temperature to check for fever, which would indicate a respiratory infection. If she has a fever, the best treament would be Nuflor. whic you need to get from the vet. If she does not have a fever, I'd give her a baby size dose of childern's liquid Benadryl. I'd also consult with the vet about giving her a 5 day course of liquid sulfa to treat coccI. It would be good to get a fecal done to check for cocci and worms. I would also have the vet do a blood test for CAE and CL on any goat I got from an auction.