Snotty Goat

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Loda Farm, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Loda Farm

Loda Farm Well-Known Member

I went out to feed a herd of goats I am keeping in a neighbors pasture/barn today, and noticed my Boer Billy had a white snotty discharge on his nose. It wasn't real bad, but I gave him a shot pf penicillian anyway. After I did him, I checked out the rest of the herd, and I have a doe with the same problem, only much worse. I actually had to clean off her nose so she could breathe. I also gave her some Pen. I have heard of greenish snot, but milky white?? Any guesses as to what is going on with these two? The doe is pretty lethargic, she is pretty wild (I just got her in November) but I was able to catch her without any problem, and usually it is an ordeal to corner her.

Thanks!

Laura

2. HappyFarmer

HappyFarmer Well-Known Member

I'd give them some nutridrench right off the bat.

What's their temps? Pneumonia Maybe, though I think that's usually greenish.
    Any other symptoms?
    HF

3. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I've had snotty noses on and off for a couple of weeks. Goats do that sometimes. If you're going to "give a shot of penn", be prepared to go ahead and give them an entire series. If you suspect pneumonia, get some nuflor.

4. mare

mare Well-Known Member Supporter

**thanks for the advice DocM.. i have one with a snotty nose also and i had them last year. i dont want to grab the pen right away but i do watch them, am headed out to the barn for a temp now.

5. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Mine has/had the same (I just bought her a few days ago, so figured it was from the stress of moving, getting exposed to new germs etc). She's pretty well cleared up now. I've been giving her supertonic. When I first saw some snot she had blown out on the ground, I thought it was some nasty duck poo! Then I saw some on her nose. That is some nasty stuff, totally gross cause she licks it off. She never acted sick though. Quite peppy.

6. Loda Farm

Loda Farm Well-Known Member

My buck is acting for th emost part ok, the little doeling is acting way off. Pretty thin, although I did not nitice her thiness other than yesterday, so she is losing weight rapidly, because I look them over pretty good everyday. I am going to continue the Pen for the full series, I had planned to, I guess I did not make that part clear. I do not think it is "just a runny nose" since the doeling is not herself. She is easy to catch, and usually she is a pistol. I have just never seen the milky white snot they are having..... Just weird

Laura

7. nubiannana

nubiannana Willow Pond Farm

What is considered a full series of Penicillin?

8. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

9. nubiannana

5 days, and how many cc's per body weight do you recommend giving?

10. PygmyLover

From someone else I trust:

Pen-G-1cc per 100 pounds-Can be safely doubled, tripled dosage to 4cc per 50 pounds. Often given every 12 hours or every 24 hours.

Pen-H (Long Lasting Pen) 9cc per 60 pounds every 24 hours. Or divide in half and give every 12 hours

11. nubiannana

The Pen-H being LA 200?

12. PygmyLover

no LA 200 is Oxitetracycline