Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Fergusons Family Farm
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so some of my rabbits are still sneezing. I have been moving cages to keep certian ones away from others. But with this winter we have...Who knew winter would be coming, just kidding! I can't really disinfect cages very well, I have Virkon which I was going to use. to disinfect the cages but its getting colder, as you all know...and I have no heated garage or anywhere to bring my big cages in to get them cleaned right...any advice?

Another Question

How do I really know if this is snuffles I would be dealing with? I know it can be treated/ or at least helped with antibiotics any one have any experience with it? Will they ever really get over it? is the bacteria constently being shed or only when certian outbreaks occur? If they always sneeze here and there, does this mean the bacteria is being shed, and contagious at this point? Sorry for all of the questions!

I don't sell breeding stock, just for meat for the dog food, and possibly snake food. (I had an e-mail the other day asking if I could supply someone with a big snake)

But at somepoint I really would like to get into breeding for breeding stock, so I want to have as much understanding of this. Even if that means complete culling...I might have to do at somepoint.

Melissa

·
Carpe Vinum
1,735 Posts
Is there snot when their sneezing? Is it yellow or green? Are they sneezing all the time, or just after their fed, watered, disturbed? Are they thrifty or is it hard to keep weight on them? Do any of their eyes crust up? Pasteurella is treatable, not curable. At certain levels of antibiotic treatment they are no longer shedding the virus. Rabbits can be carriers without any symptoms. Thats the part that stinks, they look fine but their harboring disease. There are different strains of Pasteurella, some more mild, some that rabbits can develop immunity to, some that will kill every rabbits it infects. Depending on how serious of a strain you have dictates your best path of action. You may have to cull everything and start over, but may be able to get by for now.

·
Fergusons Family Farm
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the only discharge is clear, no discharge when sneezing, sometimes I will just be looking at them, watching them clean their face and notice the wet around their nose, or if I hear sneezing I always check them out!

They keep weight on great...fat actually for the most part.

No eye discharge at all..I have never seen eye discharge, and I only ever see the odd one clean around its face, when I'm there anyways!

and sneezing will be very random, a couple times at a time, and then thats it, for a little while, and then they might start up again.

And this is only a select few rabbits with this, not them all. Most of the does are fine, I have a couple does in a seperate part of the the barn, who have been sneezing for awhile, but their feeding and water is all done after everything else.

Melissa

·
Registered
527 Posts
that sound like my moma doe she does this in the morning by night she is fine. I have chickens in the barn with them at night so ive traded my chickens for more rabbit i figured it was the dust the birds stirred up though the night. We will see if she gets better.

·
Fergusons Family Farm
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys...I was wondering that too, I have a feeling it has something to do with our old bunk barn...I would like to move them, but I just don't know where. I'm still trying to figure something out...doing lots of plans!

Melissa

·
Registered
611 Posts
Ya - I wouldnt be worried. Ive got a few sneezed here and there. Winter is just harder to clean things and somtimes dust and other things bother them and make them sneeze. Nothing to worry about UNLESS you see white or yellowy thicker discharge(Snuffles).

I wouldmt worry about moving them around until spring. Meaby open a door and let some fresh air in on nice days.

·
Carpe Vinum
1,735 Posts
Do their paws get matted from the discharge? Have you had any problems with abcesses? Abcesses that just crop up like big balls under the skin, without a clear entrance wound. Is your barn very tight? Do you perhaps need better ventilation, do you notice any ammonia build up due to having it all closed down because of winter? Is it a really old barn thats super dusty? Are there pigeons living in it? Do you have rabbits just dieing, or are your litters smaller and your does aren't conceiving? If your not having really serious problems I'd have to agree with the other folks that its some sort of irritant. My rabbits sometimes sneeze when I hay them, or give them very cold water to drink. I'd watch them, but unless you start seeing snot or abcesses and the the symptoms worsen it may not be snuffles. Its scares you though, doesn't it?

·
aka avdpas77
3,411 Posts
To disinfect all metal cages and remove matted fuzz one can pass a blow torch or a propane torch with a spreader nozzle over the wire. This is obviously extemley dangerous inside a barn.

·
Fergusons Family Farm
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do their paws get matted from the discharge?
nope...no matts as at all, and the discharge is so little that it really doesn't build up at all

Have you had any problems with abcesses?
nope no abcesses, and I'm always handling them, or at least feeling them, for condition etc. never noticed any abcesses

Is your barn very tight?
It is...but its drafty in spots. Its old, and stone, so around the windows etc there have been some spaces where air can get in, the winters unfortunatly can't be opened in the summer its ok, I open the doors, and install fans, the barn its self is monitored by a fan, that runs with a thermostat. and since right now...its cold that fan doesn't run, when it does run in the winter it really does drop the temp, so we don't run it anymore, since we don't keep the cows in during the winter.

Do you perhaps need better ventilation, do you notice any ammonia build up due to having it all closed down because of winter?
We do need some different ventilation sources we just have to figure out what. There is never an ammonia built up, I'm pretty perticular when it comes to cleaning out pens...one thing I never do is let a bedding pack start in the boxstalls, with the sheep/ goats etc. I always clean them right out. Same with under the rabbit cages, I clean them out, add a light dusting of shavings, and then clean them out about every 2 weeks more often in the summer.

Is it a really old barn thats super dusty?
Yes...this is where I think the problem might be coming from.

Are there pigeons living in it?
Nope no pigeons. I have a few roosters wandering around. and then there are a few calves, pigs, and a couple goats right now.

Do you have rabbits just dieing, or are your litters smaller and your does aren't conceiving?
I haven't lost a rabbit in probably 5 months. the litters are normally good sizes. I'm having a problem with my does conceiving right now, and late fall. Although I did get 4 bred today...so we will see!

Its scares you though, doesn't it?
Most definetly! It does scare me...well I'm sure it would anyone...we put a good amount of money into these guys...and the only way to make it back is to keep breeding and reproducing. So to loose it all would be huge!

Melissa

·
Carpe Vinum
1,735 Posts
It really does all sound fine, really could just be dust. Keeping my fingers crossed for you that everyone gets bred and your litters are big and healthy!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Mine are doing the same thing and I am starting to believe some of them are allergic to the chickens. I have 2 that start sneezing and dont quit for awhile. Not snotty or anything and one is due tonight. And while I was in the barn a couple kits started sneezing. The rest of the litter didnt even sneeze once. I didnt notice it in the summer, not until the chickens decided to stay inside. Then getting a few more chickens didnt help I guess. Spring might be adding a spot for the chickens to stay away from my buns.

Linda

1 - 12 of 12 Posts