Sneezing goat

Discussion in 'Goats' started by PrepNut, Aug 14, 2005.

1. PrepNut

PrepNut Member

Well, the loud goat quieted down, but the other one is sneezing.

He's about 5 months old La Mancha wether, yellowish snot every so often when he sneezes, but sometimes sneezes with no snot. One of his eyes also looks a little goopy. When we picked him up Wednesday, his person wormed him, gave him probios, and CD/T shot. His temp this morning was a little over 103, but it's really hot here. He's eating fine, walking around and wagging his tail. We gave him a couple squirts of some vitamin/probios paste which helped temporarily each time.

We have oxytetracycline, which his former person said to use, but we were planning to wait til morning to see if he stops snotting.

Any thoughts? I'd hate to dose him up if it's just moving-stress, but I also don't want to wait til it's an expensive vet trip and a sick little guy.

--PrepNut

2. havenberryfarm

havenberryfarm Well-Known Member

Moving stress brings out the worst in goats. If things have been wet in your area he could have pneumonia. If he coughs even once, give him the antibiotics and continue the Probios to counteract the antibiotics in his rumen. You might also try to listen to his chest if he will let you. If you hear any wheezing, creaking, or tightness, assume the worst. Better safe than sorry where pneumonia is concerned.

3. havenberryfarm

havenberryfarm Well-Known Member

Also, we use Terramycin for pneumonia. I got mine from the vet, but Tractor Supply carries it too. Without looking, I think the dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of drinking water. I probably would not wait on this one. He already has a fever and he is stressed. I think I would isolate him too, if you can. You can mix some bovine electrolyte solution (also at TSC) or gatorade in his water to make it more palatable.

You are doing a great job. I am no expert, but I am sure that many on this forum can help you and (hopefully) save you a hefty vet bill too. I am still floored that you know his temperature!

4. PrepNut

PrepNut Member

He's not coughing at all, and his breathing sounds ok. I just checked his nose again and it looks almost normal. I'll have to wait til morning to get his temp again, and also to get any other antibiotics than the kind we have on hand. I'll get some more probios too.