Homesteading Forum banner

Sneezing Doe...

790 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Danaus29 
#1 ·
I'm sorry, I am sure this is a redundant post but I haven't had much luck or time in searching for the answer I need.
I recently bought a new doe, and she is being quarantined for 30 days. I've noticed a few sneezing fits, but haven't seen any nasal discharge. There is a minor amount of matting on her front paws. She acts perfectly fine, and I've had her for two weeks now. I always tend to my other rabbits first, so as not to carry anything over to them. If it is pasteurella, would she deteriorate fairly quickly? Should I quarantine her longer than 30 days? Any help and advice is greatly appreciated :)
Thanks!

#5 ·
Even if it's one of the minor viruses instead of pastuerella, there are somewhere around a dozen causes for "snuffles", there is no point keeping her for breeding. Unless you are working with something rare and need to increase your options before culling you don't want to introduce immune problems to your lines. I have used rabbits who's offspring had light symptoms occasionally when stressed but only as a terminal line. None were kept or sold for breeding purposes. If I had the option to stop it before it was introduced to my herd I wouldn't have even kept those rabbits. I didn't find a problem until a generation later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.