sneezing bunny

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by kell, Aug 29, 2004.

1. kell

kell Well-Known Member

Is it normal if my bunny sneezes? He doesn't sneeze a whole lot, but sometimes he'll sneeze, like, 5 times in a row. I'm new at taking care of bunnies, and I want them to be the healthiest they can be. Advice would be welcomed.
    ~kell

2. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

Hi, Does you rabbit have any kind of discharge coming from the nose? If so it would probably be snuffles. You can do a google search for snuffles and find out how to treat it. I use Vitarx (sp) but from what i have read it is uncurable and will easily spread to other rabbits via air. Good luck, Randy

3. missdella99

missdella99 New Member

could be dusty feed, particularly from overly dry hay, alfalfa, timothy, etc...

4. kell

kell Well-Known Member

The bun does have a little bit or a wet nose, what do you mean by discharge. What would that look like?

5. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

It would look pretty much just like a kids snotty nose. Also look to see if there front paws are matted from wiping the snot off.

6. kell

kell Well-Known Member

The bun doesn't have matted paws. The outer ring of the eye looks kind of blue, does that mean he's got snuffles or does the middle have to be blue, too. Could it be something else. Should I keep the rabbit if it has snuffles?
    Thanks for the help
    ~KELL~ :)

7. kell

kell Well-Known Member

The rabbit is also making noises that kind of sound like grunts. It also kind of sounds like snot in his nose. Is that part of 'snuffles'

8. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

Yes. You need to treat him ASAP. Rabbits can only breathe through their nose, so if it is plugged with mucous, then they cannot breathe, and will die. Do a search for snuffles on the web and find a treatment. Good luck, Randy

9. RitchieRabbits

RitchieRabbits New Member

Hello,

Yes, it sounds like snuffles. It is not good to hear those grunting or snuffling noises, yes, it can result in a rabbit dying because it is so congested and cannot breathe... has happened to one of my favorites one time. By discharge, no, some regular looking, or clear, discharge is not usually anything to worry about. However, if there is any white discharge that is ALWAYS something to worry about!! ... Remember that! But if your bunny sneezes alot in a row and has those grunting/snotty noises too, its probably snuffles. In that case, there is no cure for snuffles... or atleast not really a total cure. Sometimes people will tell you injecting penecillin will work, which is what I was told the first time I went through this with one of my bunnies. BAD mistake... wish they hadn't steered me in the wrong direction here, ended up having some others get this later on. Even though that may seem to cure the rabbit at the time, they will still always be contagious and can infect you whole herd.... I know it can be sad, I've had to do it before and just recently do it to my favorite most special rabbit actually... but to be honest, there is only one cure for the snuffles... to put the rabbit down, and QUICK.... if you can't do it quickly, it needs to be isolated from the other rabbits meanwhile. Its the best for the rest of your herd...

good luck,

~Sara Ritchie~
    Ritchie Rabbits
    Holland Lops and American Fuzzy Lops in NC

10. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

smack it and if others start to show signs smack them too. It is not worth loosing your herd over.