Snapper Riding mower, is this a good price?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jeannie242, May 31, 2005.

1. jeannie242

jeannie242 Well-Known Member

Found a Snapper Riding mower, with a 30 inch cut, 8 horse, with a new blade. He said it runs well and only the seat is a bit taped and worn.
    We intend on going to see it tomorrow and testing it.
    Is $200 a good price ? What should we look for when buying a used riding mower? Thanks jeannie

2. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

Sounds pretty good to me. Snapper makes a good product IMO. Just make sure everything works, and it doesn't belch smoke and leak oil. A new blade should cut nice and even. If it starts easily, runs smooth, and cuts evenly, you have a good mower for the price.

3. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

As long as it runs good it sounds great. I've noticed that some Snapper repair parts are prohibitively expensive. Or were several years ago anyway. I had to buy a pulley/plate part for a lady's self propelled snapper walk behind mower and the price simply ridiculous. Way over 100 bucks IIRC. She had also lost the little dipstick for the oil filler and it was over 30 bucks. Probably a 50 cent part that should have cost at the most 10 bucks.

4. MN Mom

MN Mom Well-Known Member

Snapper comet lawn mower are like a tank - can't kill the thing.

Becareful when you let the clutch out though they tend to wheely real easy.

another nice thing about them is they are made to be stored on there tail - reason for the big bars in the back. Also makes it nice to clean the deck and change the blade.

5. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Make sure you test drive it up an incline (unless you have a flat yard). I doubt if an 8HP mower would move me up a 6% slope.

6. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Around here, that's a bit high. People tend to sneer at Snappers because they are crude and rear engine, which drives their price down. That's also a kinda small deck.

I love Snappers myself, but I'd probably pass on that one because of the size and price.

7. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in SC-------thats a Steal------Touch it and see if its HOT---LOL. I would check out how it runs and cuts------------then stand it on its end and check for worn pulleys, rust-outs, etc. If it checks out good--------I would GRAB it. Randy

8. jeannie242

jeannie242 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone, We offered him $150 and he was fine with that.
    Its in great shape, runs great. Thanks for all the tips.