Snakes

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mvick, Oct 25, 2017.

1. DryHeat

DryHeat Well-Known Member

A snake 2" long is NOT a copperhead. They're around 8-10" at birth. A (harmless) worm snake is tiny but still around 4" at hatching. The (harmless) brown snake, or De Kay's snake, is maybe 12" as an adult so similarly very small as a juvenile (I think live-born). I'd like to see some photos. Either you can't estimate length very well or the whole "bunch of copperheads in house" is just wrong. I've observed and caught literally hundreds of venomous snakes in the wild and in captivity and have to say this story cannot be accurate in its entirety. The initial two adults might have been copperheads, the ID on those is pretty obvious but the little ones sound much more like brown snakes or something like that. Baby harmless water snakes and garter snakes are also rather smallish (still 6" or so) but have an attitude, striking like crazy, and can be present in numbers since the females can give birth to over 20 offspring each which could come through a 1" door clearance easily.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  2. blanket

blanket Well-Known Member

your movement in the house will drive a lot of whatever snake you have out if you leave an escape path

3. oceantoad

oceantoad Well-Known Member

Thanks DryHeat, that is what I thought, to small. Still don't belong in the house.

4. PrairieClover

PrairieClover Well-Known Member

Just throwing this out there...a friend in MD had a timber rattler, yes, a timber rattler, that liked to sun himself outside friend's back basement door and would quickly retreat under the wooden stairs when disturbed.
    Friend called the Department of Natural Resources for his area (county) and they put him in touch with a man who came out and caught the snake. Given, rattlers are different than coppers, but it is worth a try. The man is a Native American and ranks high on DNR's list for being a snake handler.
    Also try a google search in your state for critter eradicators, pest control services. Many here in Texas include elimination of snakes. A king snake is also a good thing to have on the premises.

5. CityDude13

CityDude13 New Member

About a month ago we had a garter snake in the house and my wife freaked out lol. Couldn't imagine copperheads.

6. mvick

mvick Well-Known Member

Still coping, slowly a little at a time. Cannot go there all day. Have not seen any yet. Hoping they are gone, but still scared.
    Definitely copperheads, verified( with a Carcass) by a National Forest Ranger and also Clemson Extension Service.
    Right now I am using Liquid Snake Repellent. ( it is a powder). Put it around the commodes, so they cannot get water.

PrairieClover likes this.
  7. Callieslamb

Callieslamb Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for you. If this was me, I'd never be able to put my feet on the floor again. Never be able to sleep in the bed or open the closet doors. Totally phobic!!

PrairieClover likes this.
  8. oldasrocks

oldasrocks Well-Known Member

Mothballs can kill you from the fumes and or change your DNA.

You might try an ozone machines for a couple days. You would have to leave of course. I put ours in the treehouse and the tornado shelter. It killed the mice and bugs. It will also kill all your house plants and fish in aquarium. 30 minutes after shutting it off the air will return to 02 and be safe. Read up on it. You can use it in just one room if you seal it off. I'm guessing 2 days as it would take time to penetrate clothes in a dresser. Four hours normally kills all smells like in a motel room where someone smoked.

I'm sold on ozone as no harmful chemicals, no residue and no mess.

9. mvick

mvick Well-Known Member

Snakes Update:
    At last I am home. Spent the first sleepless night here. Thanks to everyone for their advice, suggestions and encouragement. I would never had the drive and patience without y’all. I have washed everything that is washable in very hot water and a hot dryer. I put them in zip bags or clear sealable boxes. I hung non-washable on the porch overnight ( freezing here) and then carried to cleaners. ( much $$$) and brought back in zipped bags. Everything that comes in goes in zip bags or clear boxes. I threw out the couch. I have put Liquid Fence repellant under my bed and have a Chihuahua/Terrier( borrowed) that is sleeping on the foot of my bed. He is very alert and yappy. I also have 2 cats that roam wherever they like, hopefully will eat the snake’ s appetizers. I have a “Grab It” extender that I am using to get high and low places I cannot reach. No way, even with gloves will I put my hands where I cannot see. Also use it to put a moth ball or 2 on top of high places and behind fridge and washer and dryer. It has been a long and frightening battle, all by myself. I do not blame anyone for not wanting to come near snakes. Hopefully it is all over.
    Thanks, recently to oldasrocks, I did not know that moth balls were that toxic. I will continue to use them sparingly as that seemed to work.
    However, if I should see another snake, I think I will go to Wal Mart and buy matches instead of moth balls.
    Cheers!!!!

CajunSunshine likes this.
  10. oceantoad

oceantoad Well-Known Member

11. mustangglp

mustangglp Well-Known Member

Dose anyone think loud music with lot of base would be beneficial?

12. barnbilder

barnbilder Well-Known Member

There are licensed wildlife control operators servicing pretty much every locality. They have the proper tools and safety equipment to handle anything from snakes to sasquatch. They can use snake traps to catch any remaining snakes, do a thorough search, and most importantly, identify the structural defect in your home that is causing the problem. These guys spend a lot of time on hands and knees or on a ladder looking at homes with structural defects allowing wildlife and pest entry, they know what to look for, and can fix the problem. Don't use mothballs. They are completely useless for just about every purpose that they are used for.

Wolf mom likes this.