Snakes!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by countrygrrrl, Jun 8, 2004.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Okay. I just went to move the mower in because it's raining --- and i knew if wore my sandals, I'd see a snake. :rolleyes: Because that's how it works --- if I'm in jeans and boots, there's no snakes to be found anywhere. Sandals, though, are the siren call of the snakes.

:rolleyes:

In any case, I saw the snake and noticed his head looked funny. So peered over a bit AND HE WAS TRYING TO EAT A HALF GROWN HORNY TOAD. :mad:

So I got mad and went and got a stick and whopped that snake one! :mad:

:yeeha:

He slithered off.

In any case, the snake was black with white stripes running down the side and a red stripe running down his back. Anyone have any idea what kind of snake he was??

2. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
    I'm not sure what part of the country you're in but based on your description it definitely sounds non-poisonous.

Michael

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Except to horny toads. :mad:

I wish I would have rescued that little horny toad. I just went out and looked to get him, and he's gone --- so I don't know if he made a quick get-away or if that snake came back and got him! :mad:

I'm in Oklahoma - glad to hear he's nonpoisonous to humans!

4. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
    Rescued the horny toad? What about the poor defensless snake that you whacked with a stick while it was just trying to have lunch?

Snakes are people too. :)

5. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

But I consider myself a Horny Toad - Treefrog Rescue facility. :)

The snakes are welcome to go out in the fields and eat rodents -- but they better leave my amphibians alone! :yeeha:

6. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

Grrrrlfriend, you must just have real perty feet!!!! LOL! :haha:

7. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I think it was a Garter Snake,won't hurt you.

big rockpile

8. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................Could have been a Bull Snake. They also eat other snakes which includes diamond backs, copperheads, and the Coral Snake. Red n'Yellow will KILL a fella......Coral Snake is of the Same family as the Cobra , but the King Snake can Almost look like the Coral Snake........fordy.... :eek: :)

9. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

10. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I'm w/ big rockpile. It sounds like a garter snake (aka Thamnophis sirtalis). While I keep snakes, even very large constrictors, I have never kept one that eats amphibians or reptiles. All of my snakes eat mammals because I can't deal with the former being prey. Still, we must accept that they need to eat and they are doing their job as nature intended. Garter snakes don't exclusively dine on amphibians but they are there, in that part of the food chain. I know it is hard but the poor snake wasn't being a pest- it was just hungry ;) I don't suppose you can just let him be and maybe he'll move on? :) Wish I were there to help...

11. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:eek: Cyngbaeld, no, that's not the snale!!

This fellow had a white belly and the top was black, with one (or two - ?) white stripes running down each side and a red stripe running down the back.

And yes, I know the snake was just hungry ---- but still! :mad: All he has to do is go right over across the road or out in my pasture, and there's plenty of eating out there that's not my beloved toads and frogs and lizards! :mad:

The snakes need to leave the amphibians (and the teeny tiny lizards and the salamander guys) alone! :yeeha:

12. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

Was the toad really horny?

13. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Leave the poor, helpless amphibians alone. :yeeha:

14. charles

charles Well-Known Member

The horny toad is really a reptile not an amphibian, a distinction perhaps unappreciated by snakes with foot fetishes.

15. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..................The ...Most .....devious of creatures is the ....3 Legged Horney Toad :p , better stay away from them. most of the stupid uns are still in Arkansas, but afew mighta slipped past the Oklahoma Peetrol and snuck into OU for higher lar'nen from McGuffy's Reader........fordy..... :eek: :)

16. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

:eek: I didn't know we were talking of the horned lizard. I thought there was actually a horny toad. I 've heard it mentioned so much in literature I thought there was an amphibian by that name. Horned lizards don't look anything like toads. :confused:

17. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

What would you have done if you saw a bird eating that horny toad?

18. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Well theres horny toads in the brush country down here. but we got frogs in the cement pond.out back.

19. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Horny toads are extremely ferocious looking frog-like fellows who are actually very sweet little fellows (kind of like the teeny tiny prehistoric monster lizards that are living in my greenhouse :) ). Here's a pic I found of one:
    http://midcoast.tamu.edu/images/horny toad.jpg

Isn't he just terribly ferocious looking? :D I think they call them toads because they look like toads.

Gobug, last year, i caught a snake eating baby birds and I whopped him, too, except with a garden hoe. :mad: Snakes are okay except when they start eating my amphibians, birds and ... reptiles. :yeeha:

20. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter