Snake

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by coalroadcabin, Jun 5, 2006.

1. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

We had some men on our property clearing out trees for the house last week. While clearing for the septic field, one of the guys found a rattlesnake. I'm not particularly scared of snakes, but since I'm going to have grandchildren and animals around I'm hoping to keep them away from the house. My grandmother always kept cats around because she said they kept the snakes away from the house. Is that an old wives tale or do cats really keep the snake population down? I'm not a cat person, but a couple of big barn cats around the place wouldn't be a bad addition to the homestead. Anybody have any other ideas for keeping the snakes away?

2. designer

designer Well-Known Member

I agree about cats and snakes. We had a big yellow tom cat(fixed) and from the time he was grown we never saw a snake again until after his death. We are raising 2 kittens to try to replace him.

3. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Maybe, but they're also a damned menace songbirds, quail, pheasants and every other type of wildlife they can mange to catch and kill.

I like cats and they serve a useful purpose around the homestead. I keep them in the outbuildings I need them to protect from vermin. However any cats found running loose on my property are eliminated.

I wouldn't get too worked up over the snakes. You'll probably never see another one unless you specifically go out looking for them. Your grandkids are more likely to get hit by lightning than to be bit by a rattlesnake. Tell them not to touch rattlesnake if they see one and let it go at that.

4. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

My guess would be the cats keep the rodents down, so they don't draw the snakes in.

5. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Cats will kill snakes, but they're usually small harmless snakes. Dogs are a different story! Once had a dog that would kill every snake he found. Also had a dog keep a timber rattler from striking my daughter before. Darn snake was right on the edge of my carport and over five feet long!

Best thing you can do is keep your yard clear of weeds and debris...stuff like stacks of firewood, etc. Don't give the snakes a place to hang out in other words! We also kill every poisonous snake we come across.

6. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

my dad always liked to keep a few geese or ducks around to eat the baby snakes. we have a fair number of copperheads around.

7. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I actually think Jack Russells are better than Cats.Mine will dig them out which I really wish he wouldn't.But he will kill them,plus Mice and Rats.

He has been bit by a Rattler and got very sick but pulled through the next day.

But read up on Jack Russells before you run out and get one.They can be very Loyal but can be a handfull sometimes.

big rockpile

8. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I have a Sheltie/Terrier mix who is pretty feisty but I don't know that she'd be much good keeping snakes away-she's getting older and prefers to lay on the porch for most of the day. I am hoping that the rattler was just stirred up by the guys clearing out our trees. In 5 years of owning the property, this is the first snake (other than a black snake) that we've seen. I have been told that the area is pretty well populated with timber rattlers and copperheads but as long as they stay in the woods I don't have a problem with them.

9. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

Hogs will kill snakes too, replace annually after slaughtering :)

10. miss_dee

miss_dee Well-Known Member

We've had 2 speckled king snakes in the house this week! Each one was coming from the bathroom. My husband caught them both and released them out in a field. How do I keep them out of the house? I know they're not poisonous, but I get weak just thinking about snakes, and I don't like the idea of finding one in the dark when I get up at night!

11. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

LOL, just remember that King Snakes eat other snakes and they are not shy about venomous snakes either. I am wondering what drew them into your house? Just curious. I'm always trying to figure out why critters do the things they do. :shrug:

You can seal up places that you think they can come in at. This will limit vermin from coming in too.

I think you are handling this really well. Congrats and good luck...

LQ