Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Realist
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a while now, I've not been getting enough eggs. Down from 11-12 average to 7-8. And, sometimes I'd come in at 10:00 AM, get 7 or 8, but sometimes none. Then the eggs I WAS getting were covered with egg yolk. Maybe I had an egg eating chicken, but I never caught one. Just a few minutes ago, I made my afternoon check-in on the chickens, only 3 sticky eggs, only 7 for the day. I thought to look behind the eggbox, and there he was. Fat as could be, and didn't even care that I was looking mean at him.

A few seconds later, I could telepath his last thought.." Holy catfish, that old fart can move fast." Here he is, all kinked up behind the chicken coop
Automotive tire Wood Grey Water Tints and shades

And here he is, couple minutes later, uhh, hanging around by the shed door. When he finishes twitching, he'll be 6 ft long.
Property Window Plant Leaf Wood

Normally I relocate black snakes, but this one has made a home, inside my chicken coop, behind the egg box. I knew he was a big one, and looked 6 ft long while hiding. Initially I thought there might be 2, there was so much snake around.
BUT...I'm over 6 ft, too. And although I've got a few years on the snake, I'm really healthy, and I was figuring it would only be seconds til he wasn't particularly healthy....
Even snake ought to leave me alone, dammit.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
I’ve seen my chickens eat snakes- obviously not ones as big as that. We have one chicken we call limpy, because, well, she’s has a messed up leg and limps. The wife saw her with a baby snake the other day, limp-flying around trying to keep it from the other chickens. Eventually she realized she had to eat it before it got taken from her, so she flipped her head back and got it to fall in a way that she could suck it down whole, like a big noodle.

·
I calls em like I sees em
14,013 Posts
It is a shame when they figure out eggs are easier to catch than mice and go on welfare. We had to kill a big old one like that too. Try to keep the eggs collected several times a day to avoid this.

Reactions: Pony and doc-

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
If you hadn't caught it, I wonder how long it would have lasted before it had a heart attack from all that cholesterol?...I wonder how snakes know if they're having a heart attack? They haven't got a left arm to feel the pain running down it.

·
Realist
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Now I know who keeps taking the stop sign at the end of our road.
22 years ago, the first day of the school year, a school bus come down to the end of the road, executed a 58 point turn around, knocked down the stop sign and mashed my mailbox flatter than day old beer, with mail inside. I called the head of the county road maintenance dept and told him to come down, bring his tools, pry my mailbox open give me my mail, beat the mailbox back in shape, and put it back up. Oh, yeah, bring a new stop sign, too.

Next day when I came home, my mailbox was still laying there, mashed up, but there was a new stop sign. I had to drive a 35 mile round trip to Lowe's, get a new mailbox, put it up, pry my mailbox open to get my mail. After all that, I saw the stop sign laying there in the weeds, on my property. So, I eminent domained it, to compensate for the mailbox business.

Was I wrong?

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
22 years ago, the first day of the school year, a school bus come down to the end of the road, executed a 58 point turn around, knocked down the stop sign and mashed my mailbox flatter than day old beer, with mail inside. I called the head of the county road maintenance dept and told him to come down, bring his tools, pry my mailbox open give me my mail, beat the mailbox back in shape, and put it back up. Oh, yeah, bring a new stop sign, too.

Next day when I came home, my mailbox was still laying there, mashed up, but there was a new stop sign. I had to drive a 35 mile round trip to Lowe's, get a new mailbox, put it up, pry my mailbox open to get my mail. After all that, I sat the stop sign laying there in the weeds, on my property. So, I eminent domained it, to compensate for the mailbox business.

Was I wrong?
Of course not. One of our road name signs around here kept getting taken down. They skipped over the oldest landowner having the road named after him for someone more connected. The dude just took down the sign and laid it on the ground over and over. Well, I assume it was him, because once he died the sign quit getting relocated to ground level.

·
Realist
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've only ever wanted one street sign. If you go over west of the middle school and the first right turn, you go a long ways on a road that keeps changing names, but eventually, on the right hand side, is a road with a sign, named Rat Castle Road.
Now that no doubt came about when the county let the residents of the roads with just numbers, like "County road 1508" and such, name their own road. Lot of them got named after a creek, or someone on the road, but for the life of me, I can't figure how the folks on Rat Castle Road came to that name. I wanted to go down the road and get out and ask somebody, but I know how I'd feel if they were to come ask me, so I just kept wondering. Then I began to wonder what size bolts was on the sign... But I finished doing my business on that side of the county and have never had a reason to go over there again. Yet.

·
Registered
21,676 Posts
Large snakes are all that ever ate my eggs and they always swallowed them whole. If you have eggs with yolk on the outside, you likely have at least one chicken eating eggs. You might put some fresh bedding in the nest boxes for more padding. A chicken will often step on an egg getting off the nest and break it. When that happens other chickens will also eat on the broken egg.

·
Premium Member
27,828 Posts
I am in the minority of hating to see it go.
No. I would have loved to have that one. It's big enough to eat moles and chipmunks.

I had a big snake eating duck eggs that was allowed to go it's own way. I saw that snake only once, about 20 feet up in my Sycamore tree.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
For a while now, I've not been getting enough eggs. Down from 11-12 average to 7-8. And, sometimes I'd come in at 10:00 AM, get 7 or 8, but sometimes none. Then the eggs I WAS getting were covered with egg yolk. Maybe I had an egg eating chicken, but I never caught one. Just a few minutes ago, I made my afternoon check-in on the chickens, only 3 sticky eggs, only 7 for the day. I thought to look behind the eggbox, and there he was. Fat as could be, and didn't even care that I was looking mean at him.

A few seconds later, I could telepath his last thought.." Holy catfish, that old fart can move fast." Here he is, all kinked up behind the chicken coop
View attachment 98444

And here he is, couple minutes later, uhh, hanging around by the shed door. When he finishes twitching, he'll be 6 ft long.
View attachment 98445

Normally I relocate black snakes, but this one has made a home, inside my chicken coop, behind the egg box. I knew he was a big one, and looked 6 ft long while hiding. Initially I thought there might be 2, there was so much snake around.
BUT...I'm over 6 ft, too. And although I've got a few years on the snake, I'm really healthy, and I was figuring it would only be seconds til he wasn't particularly healthy....
Even snake ought to leave me alone, dammit.
Gotta watch out for dogs too.

·
Premium Member
27,828 Posts
Mom had a beagle that liked to grab and eat eggs. Once it found an old, nasty, ready to explode egg. We all knew what happened when we heard a loud "POP"! The expression on that dog's face was hillarious. But it didn't keep the beagle from stealing eggs.

·
Registered
12,037 Posts
We have black snakes (King/Rat) that will kill copperheads, so I also don't like to see them go.
But an employee who steals from the boss has to go, family or no.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The only snakes we have this far north are the rare, occasional garter snake, about 20-30 cm long...
My cousin, the Georgia fighting chicken expert says he used to use an old golf ball to catch snakes.. Rub the golf ball under a hen setting on a nest, leave the ball in the nest...

He would find the snake stuck somewhere in the chicken wire as it could not get the golf ball through... He saying the messy part was retrieving the golf ball to reuse... :sick:

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
I am in the minority of hating to see it go.
I doubt it.
I admittedly freak out when I see a snake, but only long enough for my thought to catch up with my instinct and ID it as venomous or not. Any non-venomous snakes are left to go about their way, and I bet most of the folks here do the same. A healthy non-venomous snake is the best venomous snake-repellent you can find. This one just put herself in a bad spot by repeat-offense shoplifting. Clem couldn’t exactly tell her to stop stealing his eggs and expect her to understand it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts