Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - What do I do with it?

I have a 6 ft long skin about 5 inches wide at the widest point. I think it's a non-poisonous gopher snake. Tiny head. Brown, tan & cream. Pretty design.

I was trying to rescue it as it was crossing the street when someone drove over it (busy street). Threw it in my truck bed, put it in the freezer then decided to semi-thaw it & see if I could skin it. Did a pretty good job - no tears or nicks, edges look clean. Not knowing how to keep it pliable I just kept oiling it with vegetable oil. It's still pretty pliable after hanging on a hanger in the closet for a couple years.

I know, weird me.

But anyway, is it worth anything? Not real thrilled about having in on Craigslist due to where I live although I guess I could meet them in town. What can I do with it? I'm moving and would like to do something with it besides throw it in the trash.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Snake Skins have many uses. I always used them for Backing on Bows.

You would be surprised Animal, Bird and Fish parts people use. Just make sure it is Legal to sell.

big rockpile

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never thought it'd not be legal to sell - a gopher snake skin??

Where do I find that out? Game & Fish?

Hate to cut it up for a hat band...gosh it's 6 ft. long!

Is it worth trying to sell it? For how much?

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Actually here it is illegal to sell any Snake Skin and illegal to kill a Rattle Snake.

big rockpile

1 - 7 of 7 Posts