snake poop

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by kentuckyhippie, Jul 28, 2004.

1. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

I have an outbuilding that I keep my canning jars, old furniture, etc. in and lately something has been knocking the jars off the shelves and pooping on the shelves. I know there is a big chicken snake that lives in the shed and if it is him messing on the shelves I don't care cause I'm not scared of him but I wonder if I have some other critter in there that I need to watch out for so I don't get bit. Anybody know what snake poop looks like? Please don't think this is a joke. I'm serious.

2. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Dry. Whitish. Cylindrical. Like dog poop that's been drying six months in a desert.

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

The whiteish stuff is the urates not the poop. Snake poop looks like any animal feces. It is brown. It may have feathers or fur (but not immediately visible) depending on its diet. A snake, like a wild chicken snake, will have poop relative to its size and diet. It will be about the diameter of the snake. There will be some fur to the poop if it is eating rodents or some quills, if it is eating poultry. Urates are all white and rock-like.

4. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

Here's two sites to help with the ID. And please...LOL.."Poop" can be just about any species. Human, Dog, Cow, Horse..whatever...if It's a wild animal...it's "Scat"....LOL There, aren't you glad you know that now? :haha:

http://forums.kingsnake.com/forum.php?catid=65

http://www.bear-tracker.com/animalscat.html

Seriously though, I hope this helps. ;) I do envy you your snakes. They are rare as hens teeth here..I grab any I find while out walking and bring them home!

LQ

5. kentuckyhippie

OK, guess it was Charlie the Chickensnake. Wonder if I could litterbox train him. LOL Hubby said he's seen the same thing on the porch so I guess we have one living under the trailer also. Hope he takes care of the mice that come in every winter. Thanks for the info guys, I was afraid I had some kind of animal that might carry rabies or something

6. Dances In Woods

Dances In Woods Well-Known Member

Maybe its a rat...you never know?
    Snakes are usually not clumsy on knocking things off unless its a BIG snake.

7. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Well as God is my witness, it never occurred to me that Snakes poop. :haha:
    Of course now i think of it, they have to poop...everything poops...but still
    a revelation. The things I learn on this Forum. :D

8. John_in_Houston

John_in_Houston Well-Known Member

:haha:

My wife used to keep a 10 foot long Burmese Python. We would feed it a rabbit every 3 weeks or so.

Oh yea, snakes poop - and big snakes poop big!

9. kentuckyhippie

Nope, dances in woods, not rat scat (doesn't that have a nice ring to it LOL) I know what that looks like, much too big to belong to a rat and this is a big snake,

10. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

kyhippie.... I'm glad to hear that you're not anxious to kill the snake. I would try nailing a strip of 1'' trim or something to the shelves to prevent the jars from being pushed off the shelves. I have a big bull snake that has lived under my tool shed for a couple of years.I leave it alone, & it eats the rats & mice.

11. I raised a Burnese Rock Python for about two years. It would eat a rat whole. (the rat is always killed first, to prevent the snake from being bitten--you know, protect your investment). When the snake would excrete, it would leave two different types of piles. One looked like a large dog poop, and the other was a white pile. The white pile was what was left of the bones from what it ate. Calcium, I guess. It would harden, and was easy to remove. After two years, I gave the snake to a place that could better take care of it. It was about 10' long--half grown. I have pictures of it swallowing a rat. It's pretty neat to see it unhinge its jaw to do it. The snake can seperate the bottom jaw in the center also. In Africa, people actually go into large snake holes, and pull out Python snakes, to eat them. Python meat is currently about $60.00 a pound, I hear. Anyway, that's the scoop on snake poop!

12. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

My son's snake pooped in my hands once- sorta similar to a small egg (liquid) in consistency. I would put a curb of some sort along the shelf edge. Snakes make great pets- they don't bay at the moon, they don't leave hair all over your good dark clothes, they don't have to be put on a leash and taken out for a slither- and the wild pets, who feed themselves, are the best of all!

Our big (wild) rat snake has gotten so lazy and complacent we've taken to tweaking his tail when he doesn't hide when he sees us- don't want him getting all trustful and getting done in ifa freakin-out snake phobic should see him...

13. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

That would be ME, Grandmotherbear -- the "freakin-out snake phobic" -- I have this THING about them....I'm not squeamish -- I just hate the darned things. Kind of like some people aren't 'cat' people, and some people dislike dogs....

But I certainly understand that others don't share my view. Like FolioMark -- I never considered the...ummm...excretions -- or that there were different "kinds" -- you DO certainly learn something new every day here!

Tracy

14. John_in_Houston

John_in_Houston Well-Known Member

Gol-dang-it!!!

I wish I had known that before we paid a nature center to come take that big sonofagun away!!!!

15. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

)
    Don't know if your kidding or not John- one 10 ft. Burmese can hardly go for a pair of boots and dinner. However it is probably an up and coming venture for the export to Asian markets or domestic Asian markets. the majority of wild caught reticulated pythons and Burmese pythons go to the meat and skin trade. At some point there will be no more availability or (I hope) availability will be checked by CITES (though that doesn't stop the poaching :rolleyes: ). There are a couple of large and secret warehouses in Canada and some perhaps a couple starting in the U.S to change the plight of wild giant animals. It is not a business one can start without a solid investment and with time on his side since it takes two years at least to grow a python to the point it can be butchered. I can't vouch for the price of the carcass but considering just the skin prices it might be in the ballpark. Definitely not something I would do for less money though. Something for you all to think about. :) BTW, I have some baby Burms to sell :)