Snake Poll

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tango, Aug 14, 2005.

Are you afraid of snakes?

1. Yes, but I've never been bitten.

2. Yes, and I have been bitten multiple times including venomous bites.

3. Yes, and I've been bitten at least once by a non-venomous snake.

4. Yes, but I've never been bitten but my family member was when I was little.

5. Yes, and I am trying to overcome my fear.

6. Yes, and I get someone to kill every snake I see or kill it myself.

7. No, and I've never been bitten.

8. No, and I've been bitten.

9. I think snakes are the devil's pet.

10. I thik snakes have their place in nature and on my homestead.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

This poll is an extension of my otherpoll. That one dealt with bites. This one deals with fear and behavior. These are not scientific polls. - I feel some people need to read that disclaimer in case they try to find an ulterior motive. Unfortunately I didn't makr the correct dot onthe poll and you can ononly choose one. Why can't polls be edited????

2. Jaclynne

Jaclynne Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm not afraid of snakes, I've never been bitten, close but not bitten . And that was because I wasn't paying attention. I'm much more likely to harm myself getting away from a spider that surprises me than a snake. But I've only known the 1 person who died of snake bite (or complications) and that couldn't have happened to a more deserving person, so no, I'm not afraid.

Halo

3. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Not afraid of snakes, never been bitten,and definitely think they have their place in nature. I don't like poisonous snakes close to the house. I don't mind non-poisonous; in fact I like having white oak, black or king snakes around.

4. cabe

cabe Well-Known Member

We were at a public campg. today and someone said they spotted a Copperhead. I went to look, and sure enough it was. It was near where some kids were swimming, so a group of vigilantes got some rocks and went over to kill the beast.I went back over and they had killed a water snake(not the poison ones we live high up in the cold water )the copperhead came back soon to his rock. Another great hunting party formed and I said to them "let us try a new approach, let us all just swim somewhere else. They looked puzzled, but it sank in.I flipped him into the water and he washed way down out of the kill zone. People are so funny sometimes, but that water snake will be touted as the copper head that they bravely killed while camping once. Whatever. :stars: Marty.

5. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

You don't have enough choices on there :p Never been bitten or known anyone who was. I'm not really so much afraid of them as much as there is some ingrained revulsion that gives me serious heebie geebies every time I meet one. Saw a huge one in the barn the other day eating a toad and my skin crawled from my toes to my scalp. I do the snake dance every time I encounter one. That said, I'm really not afraid of them. My mind knows that they are more afraid of me than I am of them. Unfortunately my instincts have not yet been convinced of that. I don't want to see them killed but neither do I really care to have them in close quarters. In other words, they are fine in the barn but NOT IN my house! Once I know where one is, I just go on my merry way around it. That scene in Indiana Jones in the Raiders of the Lost Ark is my nightmare. I can't watch that scene or I WILL have nightmares. Nothing rational about it. Just instinct. I do find them rather interesting at a comfortable distance.

6. quadrants2

quadrants2 Well-Known Member Supporter

this is a cool post..
    i am not afraid of snakes and yes ive been bitten several times..
    i used to own a pet store awhile back and been bitten by everything from king snakes to pythons..they still dont bother me..course i might think different if i was starin a rattler in the face... :help: but who knows :shrug:
    quad

7. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

I'm not afraid of the snakes we have in this area and have relocated the few poisonous ones that I've seen in the last 20 years. People keep killing them thinking that's the answer... It isn't.

I had a neighbor tell me he jumped my fence to kill a snake he saw in my yard. I asked him what kind of snake it was and when he said "I don't know" I was steamed. I told him not to jump my fence again and leave my snakes alone. :nono:

Rattlesnakes are real kittycats and don't waste their venom on anything but food or fear. King, corn and rat snakes are just plain pretty, harmless and can be picked up, petted and put back on the ground and you probably won't see them for another two years or so.

I can't say I want a yard full of snakes, but I can say when I see them around, I think it's rather cool that they find my yard a nice place to be. To me that's called environmentally friendly.

8. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I dont like them,and if possible would prefer to just leave em alone.IF I had a bunch of rattlers denning on my property,i would kill em. :viking:

But if they are just passing thru :walk: ,much prefer they do that.
    Some are very pretty,saw a pink colored one once,outrageously pretty,dogs trapped it in a circle,at night I called in the dogs,and it left. :clap:

And my experince is Mojave greens are agressive,they will come after you.Happened to me,darn thing was aching for a fight :viking: .In this case,I vacated :walk: !

BooBoo

9. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

BooBoo, the Mojave greens sound like a water moccasin. I did a google search for Mojave greens and came up with nothing.

Water Moccacins are agressive and one of the native snakes I've made sure to stay clear of. I've captured rattle snakes and coral snakes and they are tame compared to moccacins which are always aching for a fight. Are the Mojave greens you're refering to a water moccacin?

10. HOB

HOB Active Member

11. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

I've learned to have a grudging respect for snakes - they are NOT my favorite critter but I'm taking a "you stay in your space and NOT my space and we'll coexist just fine" attitude with the snakes on our 5 acres.

Honest story -

We have a couple (that I know of - probably lots more) black snakes that hang around here. So, one day I'm running up & down the stairs doing laundry in the basement. On about the 3rd or 4th trip I'm just turning the corner to zip back up the stairs and - you know that feeling you get when something is not quite right and you're not sure what it is?? -

I turn back around and there in the middle of my basement floor :eek: is a big ole black snake. About 4' long - just laying there chillin' out. Needless to say, this is a major violation of said "your space - my space" policy.

So, quickly running through the men in my family I realize that DH is at work and no way to reach him, DS is gone to tech college for the day, no good. Ok, where is almost Son in law? AH HA! He's working on a car at his grandma's which is all of 1/2 mile up the road from me!! :clap: SO - do I have his nextel number - NO! Call DD at her work, say CALL TIM I HAVE A SNAKE IN THE BASEMENT!!! When she quits laughing she says Ok.

So, in about 10 minutes I'm going to have help. Said illegal snake decides he wants to start moving around the basement, maybe takin' a little tour. I'm thinking - NOT ON MY WATCH, BUDDY - STAY RIGHT THERE!! So being the "brave" soul that I am with snakes, I grab the swiffer and try to just hold him down from a distance while waiting for Tim to get here. Not my best plan but all I had at the moment! Mr. Illegal Snake for some reason does NOT like the swiffer which makes him more aggravated, which makes me more nervous which is quickly becoming a very bad combination for both of us!

Well, about the time that Tim, accompanied by his dad and best buddy (who is worse than a girl about snakes!) come busting in my basement - and what does Mr. Nasty, sneaky, ungrateful, illegal snake do?????? -

:bash: :grit: :mad: HE CHUCKS THE SWIFFER AND SLIPS UNDER MY FURNACE!!! :eek:

Tim and his dad are circling my furnace like a couple of dogs around a kitten, best buddy and I are up on the stairs all squawkin & carrying on - Snake is probably laughing his fool butt off. :nana: It was not pretty. :mad:

End of the story??? Tim & dad gave up, best buddy snuck up the stairs and went out the front door, I'm left home alone with a snake (a most likely ticked off snake) under my furnace. :( To this day (almost 9 months later) I have never seen that snake again, I've never smelled him as dead, so........

(I turn on a LOT of lights everytime I go down there! I suspect he's waiting to get even with me! :eek: )

Nance

12. mightybooboo

I was getting a drink in a creek once,and saw a cotton mouth.How do I know it was a cotton mouth? Darn thing opened its mouth and showed me,about 8 feet away. :p

BIL in Texas.Runs out of gas.They see a gas station staright down a hill,or a road of miles of switchbacks to get there.Decide to walk down the hill to station,much shorter.
    So he and his bro are trucking thru the brush :walk: :walk: ,and they hear a couple rattlesnakes rattle.Get to station,attendant says how did you get here,didnt see you coming up the road.They say,we climbed down the hill.Guy turns pale...YOU GUYS WALKED DOWN RATTLESNAKE CANYON???!!!! :eek:

Bil/Bro :buds:

BooBoo

13. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

Been chased by moccosins, got cornered by a copperhead, and played with any that weren't aggresive. In fact, had a big rat snake crawl over the toe of my shoes about 3 days ago in the barn. Found the prettiest racer in the woods the other day too. Mom says the proximity of Mars is making the rats and the snakes edgy...I know they've been more visable here lately. Oh, and we killed a moccasin out at our storage container...right where everyone walks and the dogs play and the kids ride bikes. :eek: Almost had a duck! The worst encounter, though, had to be when a juvenile moccasin came out of toilet in the house....the flushing irritated it. Chased me all over the house!!! :eek: I finally got him into a cooler and outside but we were real careful going potty after that!!! :stars: I would love to have one as a pet but DH says when the snakes move in, he's moving out. Fortunately I haven't found the snake I want or I would miss him...

14. mightybooboo

LOL!

BooBoo

15. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Hey thanks for the great and honest replies :) FlaGal you are one in a million. I love snakes, used to breed themin a past life- the big ones: retics and Burms. I thought this thread would bring more "kill em all" sorts of answers. It is sad to read those. Everything has a place on Earth (even ticks! :grit: ) Nance that black snake is probably keeing your basement free or rats :)

16. GeorgiaRain

GeorgiaRain Well-Known Member

I'm afraid of snakes, but also know they serve a purpose. In the Ozarks we had black rat snakes in our yard quite often, which was ok, but they do startle me when I'm not expecting it, like the time I found one in my wash machine. I don't like a snake in the house, that's for sure! We also had water mocassins and copperheads. We liked to go on river floats, so I was pretty concerned about the water mocassins which we saw on ocassion. I prefer to look at snakes in the zoo,lol ;)
    Now living in town, even though we live in a subdivision, half my property is wooded and we just saw a baby snake in the yard the other day, kinda concerns me about where the mama is :eek: My 3 year old boys said they saw a big black and white snake in the garage the other day, not sure if they are exaggerating, but I'm on the lookout anyway!

17. GeorgiaRain

GeorgiaRain Well-Known Member

My dh's family grew up in rural Arkansas. His grandfather and brothers would play some sort of game in their boat, King of the Mountain or something, and would try and push each other out of the boat, the fear being the water mocassins in the water, one of the brothers was pushed out and was killed by water mocassins.

18. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

OH, Well, THAT certainly makes me feel better!! :eek:

:rolleyes: You guys are all just SO HELPFUL around here! sheesh!

Nance

19. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

We have a creek near here that is named Moccasin creek - it used to be dammed up for a grist mill but the mill burnt down, and pretty soon the dam eroded, but there are tons of places for mocassins to hide.

Had a kid get killed there when I was younger - he was dared to jump off one of the pilings and the mocassins just covered him.

I hate mocassins, I don't care if they are good, bad or indifferent for the environment, I steer clear of them. We have them on the farm here down by the creek and they are aggressive and go out of their way to try to hunt you down.

Copperheads are here too, but they don't bother me - I walk around them.

The rest are king snakes, and black snakes, the only snake that is in danger of losing it's life is the one that is eating my eggs, I've seen it now a couple of times in the hen house, but can't for the life of me figure out how he is getting in there. If he ate rats that would be one thing, but he's dining on my eggs..and eggs cost moolah in feed...wish he'd vamoose! But I wouldn't kill him, just relocate him to another area..somewhere else on the property..why can't he hang out in my hay shed or feed room and do some GOOD!

Sidepasser

20. Reptyle

Reptyle Well-Known Member

Can I accurately answer this poll? I raise snakes so I'm not scared of them, but I have been bitten by them.