Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Loving My Life...
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, while my DH and I were gone picking our calf, my DS found a baby rattlesnake under my kitchen table..... :flame: ..... I hate SNAKES..... I don't know what to do..... Not sure if I'll beable to sleep tonight..... :grump:

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Did you get the snake out of the house?

Are you sure it was a rattlesnake?

The odds of having more than one snake come into your house in a day are very very small. So you should sleep well once you've put this one out in the bush somewhere.

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
I might have to burn the house down IF I found a copperhead or rattlesnake in MY house!! Oh, you poor thing... What did your son do? Where is the BRS, now? Dispatched?? Oh, my goodness. Queen Bee, who is a sissy when it comes to snakes.... :help: :help: :help:

·
Loving My Life...
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guess I should have said that my DS got it out of the house.... And yes it was a rattlesnake..... this is the 2nd one we've seen since April.....

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
Hope you sleep well tonight since it's out of the house. You need to find out how they are getting into your house.

My brother and his then wife (now ex) once found a rattlesnake in a dresser drawer in their little girl's room.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
I've had Rattlers and Copperheads in three of my Houses.Makes life interesting.

We used Moth Balls here.But I couldn't handle them because of smell.

big rockpile

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
....probably a nest of them under the refrigerator and that was the first.......actually I agree with the others...well not the one where the house gets burned down.....but the ones that think the likelyhood of another snake in the house is pretty small......just be glad you didn't find it!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Check the warmest areas of the house....also fill any outside holes or cracks around the foundation...everyone is right though....should not see more anytime soon....check those shoes or boots before throwing them on though!!!

Noah

·
Registered
198 Posts
My habit at morning shower time has always been to pull back my shower curtain, adjust the water temperature, turn the shower valve to "on" and then jump in the tub for my shower.

One morning about 15 years ago, I pulled back the curtain and there was a tiny rattler, not much bigger than a pencil, coiled in the bottom of the tub doing his best to look fierce. Now, I've always respected little rattlers as much as the big 'uns because I've always been told that there venom is more potent relative to volume than the big ones.

I let loose of the shower curtain with the thought "Well, what now?". My first reaction was to grab the nearest firearm, which happened to be a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with "00" buck shot. Then it dawned on me that this would more than likely really play hell with the bathtub!

After some deliberation, I came up with the idea to go outside, find one of my 5 gallon plastic buckets and a fairly long stick and kind of herd him/her into the bucket with the stick and take same outside. While I was gathering these materials, I remembered that I had a half gallon jug of ice cold water in the refrigerator. So, on the way back indoors I grabbed the jug of cold water , went to the bathroom and poured it on the little snake. Sure enough, it pretty much sent the thing into a state of shock, so I had no trouble getting it into the bucket. I took the container back outdoors, stacked a similar bucket on top of the one containing the rattle snake (which trapped the snake) and went to work. When I came home, I sent the snake to snake valhalla so he could collect his 60 virgins or whatever awaits dead rattle snakes!

After the initial excitement and thinking about this all day, the more ominous aspect of the incident hit me. I know he didn't come in through the tub drain. He had to find his way into the tub with no means of escape. The really scary thought hit me in that I had to wonder just how many days he/she had been wandering around the house BEFORE it found it's way into my bath tub???

Anyway the following weekend I bought myself a couple of cans of that aerosol styrofoam and a package of steel wool and went looking for holes in my ramshackle mobile home to patch up.

Bob

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
Oh my. The scariest thing I've ever encountered in the shower was just a wolf spider. But I'm with Bob. Go looking for holes to close.
mary

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
I had a baby copperhead under my bathroom window. MY CONCERN for me and you both (you even more!) is, WHERE ARE ITS BROTHERS AND SISTERS!?!?

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
see I would be worried that there was a mama nearby and therefore more babies close at hand. And heaven forbid what if mama had them IN the house then left?

·
Registered
445 Posts
You can buy the glue traps for snakes, the same as for mice and rats. If you can't find the snake size buy the smaller ones. It makes the snakes easier to see and hear.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
I've had them in my house too! I will not walk barefoot around the house in the dark.
I used expanding foam and filled anything I could find that I thought they might be able to get through to come inside.
I also used "snake-away" around the outside doors. (it smells awful).

I found a large bull snake in my dining room, 8 baby rattlers (over a 2 week period) and another smaller bull snake in one of my potted plants.

After finding the first few baby rattlers, I stopped freaking out and just spanked them with a fly swatter, hauled them outside and removed their heads.

I grabbed the longest thing I could find to deal with the other snakes, it was a branding iron. lol

I want some snake handling equipment for Christmas.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I found a 4' snake skin in my Mother's room when I was a kid that was still moist. I pick it up and took it to my Mother and asked her what she was keeping it for? She said she wasn't keeping it. Oh, I forgot to mention that my Mom had sent to get something out of a storage box. We took the skin to a veternarian who said it came from a venomous snake who had most likely came into the house to shed it's skin. The vet said that it was probally already out of the house. My Dad and Brother were both out of the country. My Dad was on a business trip in Mexico and had taken my Brother with him. We searched the house up, down, and over. We slept in the living room with guns. LOL It's funny now. NOT then. I would recommend sealing up all the little holes in your home. For example : cable cord, pipe, dryer vent, and telephone cord holes. keep your screen door closed and latched, and use moth balls if you can put up with the smell. How old is your son?

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,532 Posts
OK you people!! Now you've gone and done it!!! Just when I was starting to get the snake fear thingie out of my head you had to bring it up!! LOL..........
The other day our lovable cat Rufus was playing with a garder snake. About two feet long. Here's a pic. When he was done playing with it he dropped it and it slithered beneath our mobile home.

Here you can see it hanging from his mouth. YUCK!!

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Snakes are neat! When I was a child I would catch snakes (green mojaves and western diamond backs) to bring home just to freak my mother out....always worked. My grandparents though were more cool about those things, and told me to release it far from the yard lol. Couldn't ever freak them out! Though I would get my spanking later....when I didn't have snake it hand. I was never bit, was just one of those kids that had a way with animals and was always bringing home critters. Now, my husband and I have 8 snakes as pets (non poisonous though)

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
When I was ten we lived in my grtgrandpas old farmhouse. One day mother let out a scream and I ran in the kitchen and she told me to go get the 22. I did and she put the muzzle right up to the drawer and fired five times then sent me across the pasture to my grtgranpas current home. He came out and opened the drawer and there laid a three foot rattler with bullet wounds lol We laughed about that for a couple years until one day she screamed again and I ran in and a baby possum was in the very same drawer. I made a pet out of it. Never could fgure why that one drawer was so attractive to them.

·
Registered
489 Posts
My son had 5 different snakes in his house over a week long period. They do make a product called " Snake Away" but it needs to be reapplied after a rain. Someone told him to put moth balls around the exterior of the house which he did and has had no snakes since.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts