Snake Fight!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by shadowwalker, Jun 4, 2005.

1. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

I was again building on my shed to complete it someday. I saw a shiney rock about 200 yards away. I've mowed that land around my shed 4 times.it's about 3 inches high, the grass. The "rock" was about the size of a football. After about 1/2 an hour I decided to see the "rock" it had moved about two feet towards the unmowed side of the lot. AS I got close I found it was a black or dark blue snake about 4 1/2 feet long fighting a red snake with yellow diamonds (kinda) on it that was about 2 1/2 feet long, and the pile was bigger than a football. CottonMouth? I don't know wnakes around here yet. Middle Tenn. area. The Black snake killed the other one then started eating it. I left when it had it about 1/3 of the way down. shadowwalker

2. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Quite a few snakes are Ophiophagus or eat other snakes, the most famous I guess would be the King Cobra, but here in the States our favorite is the various species of Kingsnakes.

You have a species of Black Kingsnake in your area and maybe that is what you saw having breakfast?

Very cool, and I'm glad you told us about it. We have a dirth of snakes here as the ignorant kill them off as fast as they can(but settle for rodent droppings in their food, go figure. LOL). I miss all of the species we had around Vegas.

LQ

3. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

EEWWW!!!! How cool and scary!!! Thanks for sharing

4. OD

OD Well-Known Member

This must be a good day to see snakes. I saw the one that has been staying in my chicken house again today. This time he was in a nest eating an egg. I don't mind him having a few eggs, but he's starting to kinda give me the creeps.
    Anyway, I caught him & put him in a bucket & we took him way across the pasture & dumped him out.
    Dh said it was a King snake, so I'm glad I didn't kill him.

5. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Three days ago I found a dead gopher snake in my turkey pen...the snake had eaten the two eggs in the nest box and I imagine the tom killed him....he acts like he would like to kill me too.........come to think of it the wyandotte rooster isn't all that cuddly either....as for snake fights I have come across a few rattlesnake males battling for territory and girlfriends...watched them for hours wrestle until one gets so tired he quits............

6. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

We have had a flurry of black snakes climbing up on the window tops outside, the top of the patio door, the flourescent light in the shop, and on top of the garage refrigerator....then FALLING! If they fall all the way down, it makes an amazing THUMP. If they fall on you, the sound is more like screaming...oh, maybe that's not the snake. :rolleyes:

7. Reed

Reed New Member

Hi,

I'm glad you didn't do what many people would have, kill them. It does sound like the black one was a kingsnake, probably an Eastern king. The other could have been a harmless cornsnake or possibly a copperhead. Kingsnakes of course eat poisonous snakes as well as rodents. They don't look like water moccasins at all, with pebbly looking scales, a bullet shaped head not bigger than their body, and several other distinctive characteristics. Moccasins are pit vipers with keel shaped scales and broad, wedge shaped heads like the copperhead and rattlesnake. Also the inside of their mouths is white, hence their other name, Cottonmouth. Hope you never have too see the inside of a moccasins mouth....

Reed

8. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

That sounds like it would have made a neat picture if you would have taken one. Would have loved seeing it.

I was going to the garden in the back yard this evening to get a rake. Started to bend down to pick it up and saw a snake just a couple feet from it. I let out one of those screams. Then realized the head was missing. I looked closer. The head was in a hole in the ground and about 2 ft of black snake was laying on top of the ground stretched out. I called DH over and asked him to pull the thing out. He got hold of its tail and pulled an its tail broke off. It struggled on into the ground. It was going into a hole beside a railroad tie that holds the dirt into the garden. Guess it was after something in there to eat.

Then coming down the road later this evening there was a smaller black snake crossing it in front of my house. Guess this dry weather is making them move.

9. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'm learning about critters where I live. Oh, I found another snake. See other post. shadowwalker

10. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

My guess is it was a black snake. GREAT TO HAVE AROUND!!!!
    The proof of that is that the snake it killed was very likely a copperhead. I would love that black snake and treat it as royalty! They are great to have on the farm. They not only kill poison snakes they also eat lots of rats and mice. You do have to make sure your chicken house is snake proof though. They like eggs and baby chicks too. Kind of like a cat. Great mouser but hard on birds. :)

11. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

I think those black snakes might be black racers.....non poisonous but they do have a pretty nasty disposition if you try to handle them.....