Snails

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moonwolf, Dec 21, 2004.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

There was an artilcle in Australian small farmer magazine which I haven't read, but heard about raising Snails for a specialty market (escargot).
    Has anyone tried this or have experience raising snails for food or other purposes?

2. JackieA

JackieA Well-Known Member

I asked a clerk at Petsmart about 2 months ago about ordering snails (escargot -the kind to eat) and they said they couldn't - might could order through a catalog he said. Mentioned Apple snails but he said they really aren't good for consumption - have to be real careful to cook well....so nix on the idea all together. Internet does have some good sites on escargot if you have time to check it out.
    JackieA

P.S. If you do find a catalog to order some live ones - let me know - as I do not order things through the internet. Thanks!

Another P.S - forgot I had this info in my desk - www.escargot.free.fr/eng/cooking.htm for recipes!

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

They are illegal to grow in many southern states that I know of because they proliferate like crazy and attack the crops. I don't know about northern states. We were fooled into raising snails by someone in Texas. Before we invested a few thousand in stock and infrastructure I called the state ag department and asked general questions about laws and raising snails for food. I still remember the laugh I received in response. She said, "No, but I can send you information on fungi." :no: State caught up with the grits who had sneaked a few zillion snails into the state and put him behind bars but we, and others, were out a lot of money. And I checked all the avenues I was supposed to check :rolleyes: . As for care, they are not difficult to raise but they are very difficult to keep inside an area -copper doesn't do it- and they require precise humidity and temperatures. They don't do well outside those parameters.

4. Clara Bell

Clara Bell Well-Known Member

I was all ready to suggest ducks! Me thinking snails were the problem.
    Maybe that's what you ought to think about. Raising ducks. I had the Rouen, and they cleaned up the snail problem in the gardens, and are dark skinned duck meat. And they are beautiful, drakes have the green head like a mallard with larger bodies. They are really docile. When you till a piece of land, you train them so you can sing "Duck, duck!" and they all come running to flip the soil with their beaks for grubs and such.
    Ducks, water, but I have no lake. No problem. A deep kiddy pool is all they need to wash and mate.
    The trick is to raise them young and train them to lay their eggs in the coop, not all over the mountain. The eggs are great for baking.

5. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

Anyone who has taken a course in Parasitology will think more than twice before eating snails--I don't care how much butter and wine you put with it. YUK

6. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

sandi, yes you remind me of my parasitolgy study in the past and the snails which are intermediate host, especially for liver flukes and sheep. On the other hand, other ways parasites can be transmitted without eating, but association with animals or insects. Think of the mosquito biting and transimitting West Nile and such things. Personally, I've tried escargot once, and didn't like it all that much. :eek:

7. JackieA

JackieA Well-Known Member

But they are so yummy soaked in garlic butter and eaten with toasted bread!
    Never been sick eating them in restaurants in Germany or here in the states, if they are cooked well - no problems!!!