Snacking from the garden

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by countrygrrrl, Aug 8, 2004.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:D

While weeding the garden a few moments ago, I snipped the top leaves off some Armenian basil which was starting to flower -- then I picked a couple of ripe tomatoes.

:D

I ate it on the way inside to get a container for all the tomatoes. Yum-my! :yeeha:

2. cathyharrell

cathyharrell Well-Known Member

I agree. Last time I ate small okra, bell peppers and tomatoes. Good!

3. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

While weeding and waiting anxiously for the tomatoes to ripen, I've resorted to nibbling arugula. Blech? I don't know why I grow it! A few beans here and there are a nice treat along with a nip of mint or rosemary but nothing like a ripe, red orb. Even the zukes are taking their sweet time. Come on summer; I want to graze...

katy

4. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

This fall I plan on growing enough peas so some make it to the kitchen.

5. bluereef

bluereef Active Member

In South Florida, our growing season is fall, winter, spring. I find that my arugula, when grown in the middle of winter, is the sweetest. I love nibbling it as I garden. As the weather warms up towards March and April (80 degrees), arugula gets bitter. This may explain why you don't enjoy it so much in August.

Try growing your arugula in the early spring or fall when it's cooler for you. You'll probably enjoy it better.

Wendy

6. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

Wendy,
    This summer has been so cool, the arugula hasn't even started to bolt; it tastes the same as spring crops. I just have an issue with that green and a few others; I'm not sure I've acquired the taste for it yet but can't seem to stop testing my palate. Strange, I know. :haha:

katy

7. bluereef

bluereef Active Member

Maybe you should bring a bottle of oil and balsamic vinegar when you go out to nibble. ;)

Wendy

8. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Blackeyed peas were the snack of choice today. Tomorrow it might be a cherry tomato. We have cukes coming out of our ears. Tried to make the farmers market today but it was raining and our road was washed out from yesterday.

9. CMATE

CMATE Well-Known Member

LOL, we had the same problem at my house!! Next spring I am going to have to plant 10 times the amount just so I can get to cook some of them!! :haha: