smoothing the cooking surface on a cast iron skillet

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Paul Wheaton, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

The surface of our cast iron skillet is rough.

If you look at a new lodge skillet, it is also rough.

I've seasoned it about 20 times and stuff still sticks. If I can get the temperature just right, stuff won't stick, but that perfect temperature is hard to hit!

I was visiting a neighbor the other day and they had a super old skillet. It had a very smooth surface.

As an experiment, I want to make the surface of my skillet smooth.

Any suggestions on how I might do this? I've mulled it over a bit and the best I can think of is to get some emery paper and just rub, rub, rub by hand.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I placed a parallel post at cooking and crafts forum this morning, may be an answer there now.

3. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Yep just sand it down.(220 grit should do it) I bought one that had a bump in the surface that was driving me nuts.So i sanded it out,with a palm sander.How ever bumpy of not after it has been seasoned and used a few times it should be pretty non stick by now.What type of oil are you using.Try some olive oil. ;) Best stuff Ive tried.
    All you should have to do is pre heat it on the stove eye,(oiled of corse!) be fore cooking in it.Doesn't take much and i haven't noticed a magic temp for it.Oh wait a min don't get it to hot or stuff will stick bad! Bet thats your problem. ;)
    Or could it be cheap cooking spray? We runt three baking pans with the stuff,before i threw it out.(Cooks on there and makes them sticky to the touch)

I like to cook pancakes in our new skillets,to finish seasoning them.(seasoned in oven first!) After cooking 8 to 10 pancakes in it its more non stick than Teflon!It also turns them black fast!
    And you dont have to wash it afterward.Unless you managed to stick them some how.

4. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

don't use soap if you wash them. it takes the seasoning right off. just wipe it out with a paper towel, or if something is stuck, wash it in plain water, then dry it right away. i usually set them on a burner until all the water evaporates.