Smoking hams

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Timber, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Timber

Timber Well-Known Member

Questions on smoking hams.
    I've got a 55 gal barrel smoker with a remote firebox as I've smoked other meats with it, works just great with low heat smoke. Now it's time for the hams.

I've heard for the temperature for hams should not it exceed 180 F degrees, best smoked around 150 F, does that sounds about right? How do you determine when they are done?

I was planning to do a honey cure and smoke hams and bacon this year, but our Amish butcher couldn't get a hold of us and started to process the pig like we been doing. The wife caught up with him but the hams were already curing in the salt and sugar pickle baths.
    I've got the cured hams, unsmoked in the refrigerator now. The question, would there be any wrongs in just to coating them with honey then do the smoking?

Timber

2. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Timber, your smoker should work great. I've used one similar in the past with good luck! :)
    I smoke my hams a little cooler than that. Around 95 to 100. Just my preference.

I have "hot" smoked honey brined meats, but I have not tried coating the meat then cold smoking. Would the honey interfere with the smoke penetration? I really don't know. If you do give it a try, let me know how it goes. :)

Every one has their own opinion of when a ham has had enough smoke. I have smoked them any where from 8 hours to several days. One thing you might want to watch for is to make sure the ham is dry before smoking. Pat it dry so the smoke won't leave streaks on the ham.
    Let us know how it turns out, I bet it's going to taste great!!!

3. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

If you smoke at 150 degrees you are hot smoking. I believe that you need to stay below 120 to cold smoke. Nothing wrong with hot smoke, but you will need to freeze afterwards.

4. tripletmom

tripletmom Well-Known Member

anybody have plans for making a cold smoker? DH made a hot smoker out of some kind of barrel, I think an old water heater maybe, but the fire is inside and it needs babysitting when in use. We want to try cold smoking but he's not sure how to go about it.

Also, any recipes for liver sausage? I've searched all over and can't find one.

Thanks.

5. tinknal

Wow! Talking about resurecting the dead! LOL

I made a cold smoker out of my ex wifes van and an old wood stove. First, I stripped the van down to metal and glass behind the driver seat, put a wall in behind the drivers seat, and plumbed the stovepipe into the back door. I can do 2 hogs worth of hams and bacons in it. I burn kiln dried scrap fom a local hardwood plant.

6. arcticow

arcticow Well-Known Member

Sorry for this,but... WHAT kinda paper do you roll 'em in & HOW do you keep 'em LIT?

7. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Don't use wax paper........trust me, it doesn't smoke very well. :p :)

8. tripletmom

tripletmom Well-Known Member

Tinknal, I shared your van smoker thought with DH, he's pretty good at figuring things out, it won't be an old van though. We've got bacon and hocks that are going to be ready this week end, how long would you smoke them for? What about the hams? They are big, around 20-25 lbs. We miscalculated when we bought the piggies and they got a little big before it got cold enough to butcher them.

9. tinknal

I usually smoke for a weekend. Friday evening through sunday evening. Don't worry if the fire goes out overnight, just start it up again in the morning. (I usually get a case of beer, grab a quilt, and stare at the flames into the wee hours of the morning) :)

10. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

LIVER SAUSAGE & BRAUNSCHWEIGER
    These are cured sausages traditionally made from pork liver and pork hearts. Braunschweiger is smoked after cooking, hence the "braun" in the name. They are best stuffed into beef middles as fibrous casings do not shrink with the sausage.
    This particular recipe is a modified version of the previous and has much better flavor and texture. The main difference is the addition of chicken liver and beef liver. The amounts of the various meats are not critical and just represent the amounts I ended up with and weighed on a gram scale. You can divide by 450 to get pounds.
    LIVER SAUSAGE RECIPE
    Amount.... .Ingredients .... 5 lbs meat
    728 gr........... Pork livers
    610 gr........... Chicken livers
    584 gr........... Pork Hearts
    208 gr........... Beef liver
    100 gr........... Pork Belly trims (mostly fat)
    100 gr........... Salt Pork (fatty bacon will do)
    2.5 ......TBS............Salt
    1..........TBS............Onion Powder
    1...........TBS...........Dextrose
    2........... tsp..............Pepper
    1........... tsp..............Prague #1
    1/2.........tsp............Coriander
    1/2.........tsp............Nutmeg
    1/2.........tsp............Ground Mustard Seed
    1/4..........tsp........... Sage
    1/4......... tsp.......... Marjoram
    1/4.......... tsp.......... Ginger
    Instructions:
    Cook liver in simmering water for 10 minutes then chill before grinding.
    Grind all meat through 3/16 plate. Chill in freezer for 30 min.
    Chop in blender or food processor. This sounds a lot easier than it is as you can only do about half a cup at a time. Commercial sausage kitchens use a machine called a chopper but we have to make due with what we have. The idea is to produce what is known as an emulsion. This process is also required for hot dogs, bologna and other sausages where a homogenous texture is required.
    Stuff in beef middles.
    Place the sausage in a 165°F water for about one hour to internal temp of 152F.
    Chill in cold water.
    Liver Sausage: Store in fridge for about a day before eating. Keeps for several weeks in fridge.
    Braunschweiger: Dry in smoker at 100F, then smoke for 5 hrs at 120F
    SAUSAGE PAGE
    PRESERVED FOOD PAGE
    HOME PAGE
    Jack Schmidling Productions, Inc.
    18016 Church Road ~ Marengo IL 60152
    Phone:815 923 0031 ~ Email:arf@mc.net

11. pigsrus

pigsrus Member

I just learned yhe pork fat melts at about 170f and you dont want that to happen.

12. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

No paper you heathen, use a water pipe.