Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, in August of last year I attempted to quit smoking.

http://homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=265820

The great news is: Hubby and I are still non smokers and have never cheated once since the day we quit.

Now the bad news: I have gained 34 pounds still August!! Hubby has gained 5 pounds the first few weeks and nothing since.

Okay so 4 days ago, I started my first ever real diet. I chose a low fat low calories self created type of diet and I am using Thedailyplate.com (free version) to help count it all. So far in 4 days I have come under about 500 to 700 calories than I needed....and it's not so bad.

Last night I started the next phase of my plan: to learn to cook low cal/low fat foods that a southern girl won't turn her nose at. I love to cook and all the low cal/fat recipes online all are either a stir-fry or a broth pasted soup! How boring! Last night I created a low fat/low cal hot and spicy chicken chili with a splenda sweetened cornbread. It was good.

Anyway, just thought ya'll could give me any advice. How you lost weight? good recipes that will actually taste good? should I not use a low fat/low calories approach and try something else?

(ps...exercise is not my issue....I work in a high labor job everyday....although that job which requires massive amount of movement, lifting, walking fast for hours etc. also involves cooking for teenagers all day.....I'm the lunchlady! )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
Wow! That's great that you both quit smoking! I love it when I hear about that. I have seen too many people that I personally know suffer from the health issues that arise from that habit. :rock:

I have been losing weight myself and in the last two weeks have lost more than 17 lbs following the low carb eating plan (Dr. Atkins). I would have never been able to do it on a low calorie/low fat diet. I think of this as a life long eating plan and I love it. But I'd say whatever works for you is great and if you like that stick with it. I haven't used splenda at all and actually haven't used any sweeteners or starchy foods such as potatoes, rice or white flour products at all. I feel so much better without those foods that I think I will never go back to them at all.

Good luck!

katlupe

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's Great. Quitting smoking, I feel, is the difficult thing on earth that demands determination and involves hardships to control the desire to smoke.
Well You have done it in your own way. Obviously the interest in foods and recipes increases as the addiction on smoking is ceased.Without any doubt a quitter from smoking gains weight in the first few months and one needs to carefully manage the food habits to control the body weight. However you are gonna miss lots of favorite foods if you start consuming low calorie foods.
Mild exercises such as jogging are needed for you to burn your calories to reduce fats in the body.

All the best.Just make sure that you don't start smoking again

Acai Weight Loss

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
I quit 4 years ago Nov. DH quit about 2 yrs ago. Its such a freedom!!!!! I gained about 10 pounds but it was because I replaced the urge to smoke with the urge to eat. I eat when Im bored just as I smoked when I was bored. Now Im trying to relish those quiet moments and ignore the nasty thoughts of fat foods.....yay non smokers.....:rock:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts