Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, in August of last year I attempted to quit smoking.

http://homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=265820

The great news is: Hubby and I are still non smokers and have never cheated once since the day we quit. :banana02:

Now the bad news: I have gained 34 pounds since August!! Hubby has gained 5 pounds the first few weeks and nothing since. :flame::flame::flame:

Okay so 4 days ago, I started my first ever real diet. I chose a low fat low calories self created type of diet and I am using Thedailyplate.com (free version) to help count it all. So far in 4 days I have come under about 500 to 700 calories than I needed....and it's not so bad.

Last night I started the next phase of my plan: to learn to cook low cal/low fat foods that a southern girl won't turn her nose at. I love to cook and all the low cal/fat recipes online all are either a stir-fry or a broth pasted soup! How boring! Last night I created a low fat/low cal hot and spicy chicken chili with a splenda sweetened cornbread. It was good.

Anyway, just thought ya'll could give me any advice. How you lost weight? good recipes that will actually taste good? should I not use a low fat/low calories approach and try something else?

(ps...exercise is not my issue....I work in a high labor job everyday....although that job which requires massive amount of movement, lifting, walking fast for hours etc. also involves cooking for teenagers all day.....I'm the lunchlady! )

·
Banned
2,828 Posts
Good Luck, isn't it weird how men & womens metabolism works so differently?

I quit smoking 34 mos ago and like you haven't even had one puff & also like you, I've gained about 38#. :eek: I still need to lose it but even with the extra weight I can breathe better.:banana02:

I'm going to use a modified Atkins-low carb method to try to get this extra weight off so I don't have any recipes to share. But I wanted to congratulate you on your quit.:rock:

Hang in there,

Kathy

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also think it's funny, how every article you find discussing weight gain when you stop smoking....it always refers to MAYBE an extra 5 pounds. LOL :D

Maybe they are studying men only.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
Oh man...my last smoke was NY's eve, not a puff since...I'm already fat. Well, one thing at a time I guess. I was planning to give myself a couple weeks to really adjust and then try to start heading back to the gym (again). Maybe that'll be next week now.

Anyhow, congrats to you both on quitting, and good luck battling this next thing (it sure 'aint easy).

·
Katie
19,970 Posts
Congrats!! first of all to you & DH and to all of you here since quitting smoking is almost impossible in my opinion. I quit June 2007 and have gained 30 pounds, I smoked for 30 years too. The last 10 pounds was in the last 6 months & I know I'm just plain putting too much food in my mouth or the wrong foods. I had lost 10 pounds just by eating much smaller portions & staying away from candy, cookies, etc. like that but then the holidays came & I gained it back. I am now just starting again to cut back on portions & watching fat grams & fewer carbs.
I am one of those people that think we need to change the way we eat so we can keep the weight off. I do believe if you do fad type diets that when you go back to eating the way were used to that you gain it all back.
I'm still not going back to smoking!! I want to live longer or at least thats my plan!!
I'm wishing us all luck in not smoking & losing weight. I did get a Pilates machine & I'm hoping that will help with exercise for me though too.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
Eat less and EXCERICISE.

When you start getting "less-winded", you will then fully realize how great it was for you to give up such a stupid habit. The weight will come off also.

Concerning diet - more protein - some fats (monosaturated) - less carbs, is the ticket, IMO.

Just get used to eating more plain foods - the end justifies the means.

Hang in there.

·
Loving My Life...
1,626 Posts
Tammy, Congrats to both you and your DH about not smoking.... That's awesome....

I quit 10 years ago (I was 19, won't tell you when I started)... best decision of my life....

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tammy, Congrats to both you and your DH about not smoking.... That's awesome....

I quit 10 years ago (I was 19, won't tell you when I started)... best decision of my life....

I started very, very young too. I'm glad I quit too, even if I inherited a big behind! LOL

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Tammy - good to see that you've been sticking to the no smoking.

I've been on a basically Adkins diet since July. Just cause I felt like a potato tied in the middle. As of Friday I've lost 20 lbs. Right now, I do a few more carbs, but I pretty much stay away from breads, potatos, and such as that. Lots of salads, but I do get cream in my coffee (and splenda).

I have to have the taste -

Good luck and keep it up.

Angie

·
Always Thinking
3,296 Posts
I can relate. DH & I quit smoking in July 2007 too. Over 18 months, I gained 30 lbs. (He's gained too.) It's been up & down. I did lose 10 lbs of it last year on a sensible diet. Gained that back by simply overeating again to 'compensate' for smoking.

Having been basically thin all my life, the weight gain is difficult for me. I feel like a sausage stuffed in a casing. LOL. However, we're very happy to be non-smokers.

We started working on our weight again this month. I'm determined to make it this time. I've lost 4 total lbs in the past 10 days. DH has lost 5 lbs.

We're counting calories and exercising by walking and using an Ab Lounge. My calorie intake is at 1200-1400/day, DH is 2800/day. We don't worry so much about fat, but we do keep our carbs down...not more than 50-55 total carbs per day, not more than 18-20 in one meal/snack.

I'm going to check out Thedailyplate.com, sounds very useful. Thanks for sharing.

Good luck. Coming under your calorie intake by 500 - 700 is actualy quite good. You can lose weight at that level....and sensibly too.

We keep our calories and carbs down by eating very little bread products, and keeping starchy foods limited to one per meal. We eat as many low carb vegetables as possible, and use fruit for snacks and desserts. The fruits do have carbs, but they're low in calories and high in fiber. When you aren't eating desserts, it doesn't take long before fruits start to taste very sweet to you. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts