Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the plunge and bought a Brinkmann electric smoker from Home Depot yesterday - a whopping 60 bucks. I bought it for year round use but I'm thinking about a bird for Thanksgiving. It says to allow 8-12 hours for a 15 pound bird (what we usually get), but that means probably putting it on at midnight. And adding water after 4-5 hours might be a problem.

Any tips for me? I'm thinking about a ham as well.

·
Registered
655 Posts
When we've smoked (and by *we* I mean dh :D ) a turkey, we've eaten later in the day. Dh usually starts the turkey sometime early in the morning. Keep in mind, if the weather is inclement, it may slow down the process. Two years ago we had rain out the wazoo and wind like you wouldn't believe. Dh almost gave up on smoking it when the smoker kept getting drenched!!!

It is SO worth the time and effort. So, although I really didn't impart any wisdom on you regarding the smoking process, I just wanted you to know you will not regret one minute of it when you bite into it!!!

:banana02:
Shawna

·
Registered
473 Posts
Regular or Menthol?
Tom

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking about putting the turkey in the smoker for 4 hours or so, then finishing it in the oven for an hour or two. I've been told that you can't really tell the difference.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I've been smoking turkeys for over ten years. We have a Brinkman charcoal smoker grill. I'm not sure how an electric one works but here is what I do.

I use 20 lb. charcoal (Sam's is the best). I also use a small bag of hickory chips.

1. Thaw the turkey
2. Remove giblets and neck.
3. Coat entire outside with olive oil and sprinkle with Natures Seasoning.
4. Start a full round of charcoal in the grill until whitened over about 70%.
5. Fill Water pan with about half gallon of water and some onions.
6. Smoke for about four hours.
7. Change Charcoal.
8. Set turkey back on
9. Cook another four hours and add hickory chips (some people soak them in water first but it works fine either way).
10. Water will eventually dry up and then the onions will begin to sizzle. Add just a little more water.
11. Allow to cook another two hours.
12. A done turkey.

Below is one of my smoked turkeys.

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
Wow, that is one beautiful bird!

We have a fryer and have fried turkeys in the past, they are really delicious, and if fried at the proper temperature they really don't soak up the oil. The only thing that makes me hesitate is the price of peanut oil nowadays.

·
God Smacked Jesus Freak
7,456 Posts
here is our smoker set up(well, was, hubby dropped a tree on it, the smoker got a little smushed, we'll try to heat it up and hammer it out a bit maybe) We smoked a wild turkey in it, it was awesome. It took a looooooong time tho, it was very cold out. We use oak to smoke.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I'm thinking about putting the turkey in the smoker for 4 hours or so, then finishing it in the oven for an hour or two. I've been told that you can't really tell the difference.
You really can't tell a difference if you do it this way. You have the great smoky flavor still. If time if a factor, I would suggest doing it this way, unless you really have your heart set on getting up at 1 am to stand outside and smoke your turkey :D

Shawna

1 - 9 of 9 Posts