Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From 24 pounds to 34 pounds. And he STILL looks starved.

I wish I could find the charger for my camera batteries. He's such a pretty boy (a very flashy blue merle with red points) -- and the more he puts on weight the more it's looking like he's a heeler/aussie mix. If you'd asked me two weeks ago I would have sworn there was no heeler in him because he was so whip-cord thin.

The more he gains and the more muscle mass he puts on, the more he's looking very heeler-ish. He has aussie ears but a heeler face, too. (Almost looks a tad pit-bullish with the space between his eyes, but I think it's probably heeler genetics there.)

And he's doing great ... went to Payson with me to visit family and did good for a year old dog with very little training. He WAS scared of my dad (who's 6'5" and has a deep voice) but eventually got over it. And it was cold and rainy for the first couple of days so he didn't get to go outside much and run and he's turning out to be a majorly hyper dog, so I was proud of him.

He did play a few, "Nyah, nyah, catch me if you can!" games while on vacation. Typical teenage dog stuff, but annoying, because it was cold and rainy and I had a cold/asthma issues (at high elevation!) and I was not amused by having to catch him every time I let him off leash and he didn't want to come back to me and go inside. The property's fenced but I couldn't just let him run around unsupervised because there were too many things he could get into and I'm not convinced that fence would hold him.

OTOH, when it was cold and actually raining he proved able to find a bush, pee, and return to the door faster than I could believe. Zoom! To the closest bush. Zoom! Back inside. LOL! Skinny little doggies are not happy to have go outside when it's 40 degrees and windy and raining.

He has developed a habit of barking at me if I'm talking to someone else and he feels ignored. It's annoying and it's going to stop. He also barks at me if I'm upset about *anything* ... and he knows I'm getting mad or upset before I do. "Quiet!" is going to be the next command he learns, I think, because it's really annoying if I'm talking on the phone and getting a bit animated at someone and the dog Won't. Shut. Up.

-- Leva

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Sounds like Smokie is really doing good!! Yes..YOU MUST find that charger for your camera! I would love to see pictures of he..he sounds like a beautiful dog :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts